Dolphin aka John Haggard has passed away 8-16-2021

News only pertaining to Lake Cumberland

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Dolphin aka John Haggard has passed away 8-16-2021

Post by E_ »

I regret to post on this group that we lost one of our loved members, John aka Dolphin.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Sharon and their family for comfort in this difficult time.
Next month would have been their 51st anniversary. The following link is to a photo John shared last year at their 50th celebration.
http://lakecumberlandboaters.com/forum/ ... 79&p=52432
imagejpeg_0(3).jpg
imagejpeg_0(3).jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
I will so greatly miss John's emails and discussions about world events. His wisdom and coaching me about my weight etc. lol And most of all those times that I was able to catch up with him during my lately limited trips to the lake.

Dan Shank aka Nearly wrote a Memoriam post last night and notified our Facebook group. I never could get John to join it as he didn't trust FB nor did he care for their political stance. But Dan's thread shows there were soooo many there that had great memories of him.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LakeCum ... 4405555801
Dan Shank
· 10h ·
Friends of Lake Cumberland.
With heavy heart, I regret to report that another Senior Lake Cumberland Boater passed away this morning. Many of the old Lake Cumberland.com
members remember him as Dolphin. State Dock and Conley boaters know him as John Haggard.
John was a wealth of information of Lake Cumberland. His LC.com
posts, although sometimes controversial, were filled with facts and information of the lake we have all come to love and call home. Many of the old .comers will remember the many breakfast invitations Dolphin extended to the members. I personally became to know John as an avid lover of Graters Ice Cream and a fan of the Oriental Wok in Northern Kentucky. Several years ago John would call me when passing through the area and we would meet at the Wok to discuss his colorful thoughts of Lake Cumberland. On occasion, there would be a delivery of Graters Ice Cream placed in the Dophin's freezer. Nothing fancy, just chocolate and vanilla.
Just last week Sharon, Mrs. Dolphin, stopped by my slip at SD while on one of her many daily bike rides. We chatted a while and I asked about John. A while back John had a heart attack but was on the mend and back enjoying Lake Cumberland just as he always did. I deeply regret not stopping by to chat with John before today. He was quite the "character" and always had a story to share.
Some may have seen the ambulance this morning at the State Dock ramp. John made one last trip up the hill this morning. Rest in peace old friend.
Eric Hillman
Admin
Thank you for the wonderful write up Dan, I didn't have the mindset for it yesterday. I tried for years including my last visit with him a couple or few weeks ago with him as he sat on the back of his boat enjoying company, to get him to join FB and hop back in with his hilarious antics.
I feel so horrible for Sharon and I send prayers her way for comfort during this time. John though he loved life and I doubt had any plans to go so soon, from my perspective got to go still in his prime and doing what he loved. Being on his houseboat with his wife and fixing breakfast. I will miss John's random emails through the week discussing the markets, politics, etc. He always had this way of writing at times in haiku almost. 🙂
John you will be missed by soooo many on the lake and elsewhere.
There are sooo many responding with great Memories of John. I may copy them here after the thread has slowed down a bit.

Sharon if you see this, just know we love you and pray for your comfort.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LakeCum ... 172445801/
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Re: Dolphin aka John Haggard has passed away 8-16-2021

Post by re3too »

We did not know him well personally but did enjoy the interactions we had with him. The fiasco between John and cumberline was painful for many of us. RIP...
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Agree, he didn't want to even post on the forum's after that incident and with the poker run wreck blame.

Here is one of his signature type posts and how I love to remember him.

http://lakecumberlandboaters.com/forum/ ... 304#p26304
Re: Sittin on the deck sippin Ky Bourbon
Post by Dolphin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:54 pm

all is well, sun on the Cumberland. 30's right now

Nothing to be scared Of so far

Raptorlver came down and shoveled all of the snow off all the docks #:-s Like a good girl should :D

Kids sent a Big Box full of Omaha steaks and goodies, so Its prime rib, baked Potato and chocolate mouse tonight on the Cumberland. =))

You boys stay up there and work hard so those S.S. checks keep coming this way :ymapplause:

I will keep you Posted on the weather, NO loss of electric so far. Hon, pas some more Bourbon Please :p

RE3, one of his last posts was picking at you. lol

Re: 2011 Lake Cumberland Poker Run Sept 9-11 2011
Post by Dolphin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:17 am

AHHHH and those sweet succulent lips RE3

still warm and Lush I see HaHaha

stop by for a visit sometime Young lady

http://lakecumberlandboaters.com/forum/ ... 920#p31920
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nearly sent me a note that he spent a little time with Sharon yesterday (8-22-2021). They spread John's ashes on Saturday 8-21-21 and had a large family gathering at the houseboat out on the lake. Sharon is doing very well she has decided to sell the houseboat, it's something she and John discussed in length so she seems to be in a good place.

He further said Sharon was very appreciative of all the people that have reached out and especially all of the old.com people that have expressed their condolences.

Return to “News”