Serious Crash At 2013 Poker Run

News only pertaining to Lake Cumberland

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

JLA

Serious Crash At 2013 Poker Run

Post by JLA »

http://lakercountry.com/2013/09/07/seri ... airlifted/

Serious Crash During Poker Run on Lake Cumberland; Initial Reports of Two Victims Being Airlifted
Posted by Laker Country in Lake Cumberland's Best Country on September 7, 2013 | no responses

WJRS NEWS has confirmed a single boat crash occured near Ramsey Creek around 10:35 a.m. during one of the first flights of Poker Run on Lake Cumberland. Initial reports from emergency personnel of two persons being airlifted by emergency helicopter services. WJRS NEWS will continue to follow this developing story and we will have more details during our 4:05 p.m. edition of WJRS NEWS on-the-air at 104.9 fm and on-line at lakercountry.com….

My friend called from the lake and said that this was a fatality. No official word on that part of the story.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Re: Serious Crash At Poker Run

Post by re3too »

Two confirmed fatalities.... :( :ymsigh:
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
JLA

Post by JLA »

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Coro ... 13111.html

WAYNE COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - Investigators say driver error is what caused an accident that killed two boaters Saturday morning on Lake Cumberland.

The boaters were taking part in the Lake Cumberland Poker Run which on its website claims to combine "the raw fury of over 150 of the country’s meanest and fastest powerboats with the fun and energy of Mardi Gras."

"Boats do travel at pretty high speeds, a lot of high-performance vessels, fast boats," Sgt. Wayne Glover with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife told WKYT's Sean Evans. Glover believes the boat the men were in was going in excess of 100 miles per hour and speed was a factor in the crash.

The men's boat flipped near Ramsey Point on what is meant to be a fun weekend for speedboat enthusiasts who put their boats horsepower to the test.

Organizers say the Lake Cumberland Poker Run is one of the largest events of its kind in the country.

Event organizers add the lake was clear and spectators were keeping a safe distance from the speedboats while they were traveling through the area.

Poker run officials say the weekend's events will go on as scheduled.

Very sad, Again thoughts and prayers to those involved and their loved ones.
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

Vid is on you tube.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of the guys...Heres my thoughts on this....it is inevitable ,running at the speeds designed for, the odds are against you... its risk and we accept them... I for one want to see these boats and see them at their fullest potential... we can argue back and fourth about who has more or less right during these events,but will never settle it...I for one think taking the runs any further than state dock and Jamestown is a big problem....its a bottle neck.
just run them from Jamestown ,state dock and grider....several trips back and fourth....limit the amount of entrants due to congestion....maybe make it a 2 day event ....divide them up by speed...jmo..
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Jeff Asbell and Brad Smith (Custom).jpg
Jeff Asbell and Brad Smith (Custom).jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 42654 times
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C7dw5Y5WDU

apparently from the assortment of engines in this vid , he was serious about his boat.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

The latest vid is pretty scary if legit. If how it appears the drivers do what they can to avoid id10ts hope it is just a bad angle.

Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:The latest vid is pretty scary if legit. If how it appears the drivers do what they can to avoid id10ts hope it is just a bad angle.

I think it is as bad as it looks. To me I think they sacrificed themselves to keep from hitting that boat crossing in front of them. What the hell was that idiot thinking? My god, I never cross the lake on a normal weekend like that without looking very carefully and making sure I can do it without interfering with others travelling up and down the lake.
crwky

Post by crwky »

E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Wow, about 7/8ths through they turn around for it. :-( soooo sad.
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

A post on O S O by one of the 3 front runners said THE cruiser was not a problem. Meaning to me only one was seen. Could be possible he didn't see the other but I doubt that.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

This whole thing is very confusing....I don't know what to think! :ymsigh: :ymsigh:

And that vid proved wifout a doubt there's no way I would wanna be in one of those boats! :-s
crwky

Post by crwky »

re3too wrote:This whole thing is very confusing....I don't know what to think! :ymsigh: :ymsigh:

And that vid proved wifout a doubt there's no way I would wanna be in one of those boats! :-s
Hell we all knew that you did not need the video to prove you want no part of a poker run. You had that covered already :))
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Now where did you get that idea? ;;) ;;) ;;)
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

Hey E.. I'll bet you have the means to do it much easier than I. Could you put up a post with links to all the relevant videos? I know of the two showing the crash, both pace boat videos, the one of pure platinum cutting inside the checkmate, and the most recent one showing the green skater and my way buzzing other spectator boats, but I thought there was another video from a houseboat showing a further out view of the pure platinum bonehead inside pass that I haven't been able to track down where I saw the link.
How bout it?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I have to admit I have been purposely not posting all the videos.

Disclaimer, it might be for similar reasons Islander stated recently in the crash thread at lakecumberland.com
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I have to admit I have been purposely not posting all the videos.

Disclaimer, it might be for similar reasons Islander stated recently in the crash thread at lakecumberland.com
Oh sure, blame it on me! Everyone else does it. I understand exactly what you mean. The problem is, they likely have already seen them. For sure KDFWR has.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

:-? You all know I'm not a fan of go fasts but..... I'm not for banning them on LC. It would be arrogant of me to deny them the right to run here just because I prefer for them not being a part of RE3 World. That being said..... I do think that the envelope keeps getting pushed by the participants. Whether they like it or not, they are invited guests and do not have the right to rule the roost. And spectators who increasingly demand more of a show are part of the problem as well. When the PR first started the participant boats were smaller and slower. As the event has grown, the dynamics have changed. Just as GWW and I have had to adjust our time on the lake so that we only boat at our comfort level, I also believe participants need to adjust to THIS lake and not bully other boaters. Some think it's greed driving it but I suggest it is also a need to survive hard economic times, the voyeurism needs of spectators, an increased demand for "entertainment" on the lake and a party hearty attitude. Maybe it's time to step back and tweak the attitude. JMHO!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smith-Po ... ef=profile
Someone just posted this on our facebook page

1209863_546995861991028_355718070_q.jpg
1209863_546995861991028_355718070_q.jpg (1.29 KiB) Viewed 42450 times
Smith Power shared HP Pool's status.
Attention all power boaters and friends. An account has been set up to benefit the children of Brad Smith. At any Arvest Bank, you can donate to the "Bradley Smith Children's Trust". Please take the time and donate! It will help greatly!
Routing #: 082900872
Account #: 0022748007

The page they shared from also had this info:
1209863_546995861991028_355718070_q.jpg
1209863_546995861991028_355718070_q.jpg (1.29 KiB) Viewed 42450 times
Smith Power

September 10 via mobile.
Services for Brad will be Friday September 13 at 1:00 at St Pauls Church (26th and Jefferson). We will receive friends after the service. Burial will be private.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

From http://speedonthewater.com/advertisers- ... -slow-down

Commentary: We Can Always Slow Down

Matt Trulio 13 September 2013

Right now, poker runs continue to exist because the people who have been killed in them were participants. The poker run population is small enough that the general public doesn't seem to care if it exterminates itself. But the day a poker run boat collides at high speed with a cruiser full of passengers or a group of wakeboard boats, poker runs are done. Forever.
DS13_London_Shootout1.jpg
DS13_London_Shootout1.jpg (70.8 KiB) Viewed 42422 times
When it comes to speed on the water, there is a time and place for everything. But we can always slow down. Photo courtesy/copyright Jay Nichols/Naples Image.When it comes to speed on the water, there is a time and place for everything. But we can always slow down. Photo courtesy/copyright Jay Nichols/Naples Image. ( http://naplesimage.com/ )

Harsh stuff, right? Reality tends to be that way. And it's time we all face it.

Running a boat at 150 mph on a controlled course is inherently risky and dangerous. That's why the few offshore racers who do it regularly—and "few" is the correct amount—have full canopies, helmets, five-point restraints and oxygen systems. On an uncontrolled course, one on which every vessel has the same right to the waterway, the risk and danger levels increase exponentially.

People are inherently imperfect. They make mistakes. Little mistakes that happen when you're traveling at 220 feet per second can kill you. Big mistakes that happen when you're covering 220 feet per second will kill you. Just because you've done it 100 times and lived doesn't mean you'll survive run No. 101—because you are human and, as such, imperfect. And as they say in all those financial investment commercials, past success is not a guarantee of future performance.

Multiple boats running 150 mph near one another on an uncontrolled course multiplies the risk and danger. Even with substantial north/south and east/west separation, the closing time between vessels is frighteningly short at that speed. Less objective but true nonetheless is what can happen to the judgment of go-fast boat operators with fragile egos when they run their boats near one another at 150 mph.

I have watched two short videos of the last weekend's Lake Cumberland Poker Run accident. I have spoken at length to one of the first guys in the water to reach Jeff Asbell and Brad Smith, the well-loved gentlemen who died when their catamaran flipped. I still don't understand exactly what happened. To reach any conclusion based on that scant information would be premature and irresponsible.

So I have just two words of advice for now: Slow down. If you really want to honor these guys, who by so many accounts were wonderful people, if you really want to make the losses to their families and friends count for something, slow down. It is not the solution to all the safety challenges in poker runs, but it's a good start.

Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Let me say this about all of it, the video from the gray Pace Boat was the most telling to me. They are practically idleing until they got to Harmon, they lit in to them slightly around Ramsey's point, I don't think he ever went wide open on the gray boat until just before he shut it down for the accident.

This is why they won't run to the dam and back first, that just isn't far enough for these guys to really sort it all out. I think it would be alot more dangerous if they ran to the dam first due to the short distance for them to jockey for the lead. These are not drag racing boats, it takes them a little while to get up to speed. It may not be called a race but tell that to the guys with the boats.

No different than me racing that other tri-toon back to state dock on Saturday............. :)

Great article, on the whole subject though.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

Lock5 wrote:Let me say this about all of it, the video from the gray Pace Boat was the most telling to me. They are practically idleing until they got to Harmon, they lit in to them slightly around Ramsey's point, I don't think he ever went wide open on the gray boat until just before he shut it down for the accident.

This is why they won't run to the dam and back first, that just isn't far enough for these guys to really sort it all out. I think it would be alot more dangerous if they ran to the dam first due to the short distance for them to jockey for the lead. These are not drag racing boats, it takes them a little while to get up to speed. It may not be called a race but tell that to the guys with the boats.

No different than me racing that other tri-toon back to state dock on Saturday............. :)

Great article, on the whole subject though.
The shootout course at LOTO is only one mile long and the radar don't lie. They do get a bit of rolling start to the start line however, but not much. I think My Way this year was about 40 MPH when he hit the start cones.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, 40 on my boat would be blistering speeds. :D
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

I dont think there ever will be a fix for this...the argument that all boats have equal rights to the lake trumps all...informing boaters at marina levels is about all you can do...sooner or later someone will make it a major saftey issue and it will be gone forever...

Now...from all the vids out there,here is my question....how many laws are broken during this poker run...i dont know the laws all that well,but is there laws about distance from other vessels,passing,and so on.... and if so, could obeying these laws have prevented such tragedies....
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

true
E_
Site Admin

Re: Serious Crash At 2013 Poker Run

Post by E_ »

http://bradsmithpower.com/
memorial .jpg
memorial .jpg (175.4 KiB) Viewed 42400 times

Below is a copy of an article written on Powerboat Nation September 10th, 2013 by Brad Schoenwald:

Jeff Asbell & Brad Smith's Cumberland Boat Crash Reaches Beyond Life Itself

Powerboat Nation's original post regarding this incident was intentionally muted as we were literally directly involved with these two, before, during, and after the incident. Out of complete respect for Jeff, Brad and their families we remained quiet and guarded regarding the loss. We are a family that is bound by the common thread of Powerboating. This is about the men and the lives of everyone they touched. The shock and devastation of the incident has trembled its way around the world already. We know everyone wants to find the answer of how and why, but for now the tragedy of the loss is what we are immediately faced with. The loss of these two men is a huge tragedy; not only the loss of life and the staggering affect to the families but also to the sport we love.

To tell you something about these two guys is to begin with how both were larger than life in their own ways. Competitive and driven like very few people you could have ever met. How can we exclaim such details? It’s easy because we were all close personal friends. We shared business, friendship, and boating like so many others that we share Powerboat Nation with. We shared numerous texts, phone calls, emails, and late night drinks discussing the how, why, what, and if’s of the performance power boating world. It was these characteristics that lead both Brad and Jeff to be clients, friends, and boaters and brought them to be such strong supporters of Powerboat Nation.

Brad Smith had become a prominent rising star in the performance engine building field. He was raised with horsepower in his veins and a research and development spoon in his mouth. Brad often tested parts to the brink of failure in the quest to define the ultimate in reliability. He was a incredible engine builder with advanced skills and forethought that only a handful of modern engine builders possess. In specific regard to fuel injection and electronics technology, Brad was charging hard in completely uncharted territory. When questions would come up as to why a product couldn't meet a need, Brad first remark would be “then let’s build it”. Brad had endured some business ventures with shysters only to separate and shine brighter as they dwindled into dust, Brad was a winner regardless of the situation. Brad was behind the development of such things as the two speed transmissions to the most exotic turbo charged engine packages found anywhere. In most recent years Brad played a significant role in development of numerous products for marine parts manufacturer Hardin Marine.

While everything that bore the Smith Power name gleaned of a finished product equivalent to fine jewelry, it also performed at that same level. Brad wasn't his best promoter due to his relaxed style and professional demeanor but that didn't matter because his clients cheered on his work and his work is what established the foundation to a long time friendship with construction mogul Jeff Asbell.

Jeff was a self made man that faced the mountain then conquered it. He had built an empire of businesses and had now turned his good fortune towards the power boating industry. For all of his success he was a kind soul, a guy that you enjoyed talking too. Jeff hated the bully and he felt that the industry was being clobbered by the men in black. They had brought the success of turbo charging to all of the elite but out of the realm of the common boater. While Jeff respected the success, he believed in Brad and wanted to prove that with the proper resources an independent could compile the best parts in the industry and face off against them, building engine packages for the common performance power boater.

This leads to how the loss is well beyond the physical lives of these two great men. Big corporations can come in and throw millions at potential profit centers for their own well being and they can absorb loss. But this wasn't the case with Jeff; he was committed to giving back to this industry for all the good fortune life had bestowed upon him. The boating world we find camaraderie in has not seen this type of commitment towards its core in a long-long time.

What was not known publicly was a special project that was in the works: Jeff had broken ground a year ago and was building an entire engine development center to house the development of an entirely new engine program patterned after today's successful NASCAR offerings. Multiple dyno centers and a test facility had just been installed in a shop that any NASCAR team would be proud to have. Brad had designed the set up, and was driven to build something this industry had yet to see in the private sector; Jeff's business experience showed him he knew he had the right man to make this happen as Brad was the one who had the knowledge, skill, ambition, and an overwhelming enthusiasm to raise the bar. All you had to do was ask Brad a question about a motor, tuning, development, turbo charger, whatever, and his phone would come out and the pictures and details of a motor would begin to spill out. He was truly immersed in what we loved to do. Brad had also successfully developed a number of items this industry has yet to see.

Beyond the 40SS that had just been completely redone, Jeff had just given the green light and commissioned Peter at Skater to build a new state of the art 46' Skater that would be campaigned to race against the big black corporate giant. Ironically his goal was to develop a host of new safety devices and standards to change the safety aspect of hi performance boating. This boat was to be the safest ever built. Beyond that goal was to even the playing field showing that with the very best the aftermarket had to offer they could be a winner. The new boat would be powered by Smith Power engines, Arneson Industries drives, Hering Propellers, and Hardin Marine accessories. Jeff was a man committed to helping the smaller independent companies wage a competition similar to "David & Goliath".

These two guys were set to make a statement and leave a mark on the future of power boating. Not only will they always hold a very special place in our hearts, we will always have to wonder just what might have been had God not taken our friends away from us so early.

As for the ugly facts of the incident we know what we have seen. That discussion and topic points will remain for another day. For everyone at and associated with Powerboat Nation this is not about news and conjecture this is about the heart wrenching loss of two great guys who were passionate about life and how they lived their lives

God Speed guys, you will forever be in our thoughts and prayers.

Brad Schoenwald and the Staff at

If there is a message or a photo you would like to share, please visit this thread on PBN and add it there and we will add it to this site! http://www.powerboatnation.com/general- ... -page.html

This page is operated & maintained as a memorial by Powerboat Nation

Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

Have not heard anything about Jeff Asbell as to family. Mom-Dad, Wife, Children ?
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
crwky

Post by crwky »

Pop-O wrote:Have not heard anything about Jeff Asbell as to family. Mom-Dad, Wife, Children ?
I did see a post from someone that claimed to be his girlfriend's daughter and I think she mentioned his kids. So my guess and that's just that a guess. Girlfriend, ex-wife, kids, One hell of an excavating and trucking business that i'm sure many families count on to pay their bills.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

Pop-O wrote:Have not heard anything about Jeff Asbell as to family. Mom-Dad, Wife, Children ?
He has a 28 year old son that will end up assumedly taking over his excavation business, his environmental spill response business, his airport and any other holdings. I don't know of any other family as of now. I turned the boat over to his best friend, his pilot and the normal throttleman /truck driver for the boat on behalf of his son.

He had a LOT going on. I can't imagine having all of it dropped in my lap at a moment's notice like that, especially at 28 years old. I hope he gets all the right help for it all.

Return to “News”