Pictures from the last pour on the Wolf Creek Dam Project.

News only pertaining to Lake Cumberland

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

WaterWings
Better Member

Pictures from the last pour on the Wolf Creek Dam Project.

Post by WaterWings »

I hope its OK if I post some important pictures here that kdfwr911 aka Tony Wright took of the last pouring of the final concrete pile or wall for the Wolf Creek Dam project.
(E said it was OK as long as I behaved myself. Otherwise El Deleto!) :))

WaterWings
Better Member

Re: Pictures from the last pour on the Wolf Creek Dam Projec

Post by WaterWings »

WaterWings
Better Member

Post by WaterWings »

WaterWings
Better Member

Post by WaterWings »

re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

I vote for El Deleto! There was a motion on the floor, right? :D ;;) :-*
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
WaterWings
Better Member

Post by WaterWings »

That's all I got but he took like a hundred and something. I think he did a great job.
He really wanted everybody to see the "last pour"!
ITs DONE! :D :D :D
WaterWings
Better Member

Post by WaterWings »

re3too wrote:I vote for El Deleto! There was a motion on the floor, right? :D ;;) :-*
NO... no motion on the floor...nothing moving here...you must have gas or something. (jking) =))

It is however E's forum! IF he says they go....Adios! NO drama from this old dawg! There is enough for a lifetime on that other site. Geesh! :ymhug: :ymhug:
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

THANKS SOOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THOSE WW!!!!
Thanks to Tony W aka KDFWR911 Retired
for taking time out of his day to go down there in the cold wet day and get those for all of us who couldn't see it for ourselves.

...and don't worry about getting in trouble here. ROFL! ...and we'll do our best to keep that drama team away from this sacred land. lol :p Well, all except for RE3 and her fists in the air. ROFL!

Here are a couple zip files of more photos for those that want to download them and watch them in a slideshow on their computer.
(cause I'm too lazy to post all of them. Thank Gosh someone wasn't too lazy to go out and take them for us)

Photos in the attachements below by Tony W aka KDFWR911 Retired
If I get some time tomorrow I might pic some of the ones that haven't been posted and upload them.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Thanks E. That was pretty cool watching them as a slide show. :ymapplause:

Did you get the group I took in January?
Last edited by kdfwr911 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

If I get em I'll zip and post em. :)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

A ceremonial concrete placement and public completion ceremony is scheduled at the Wolf Creek Dam work platform for Friday, April 19 at 10:00 a.m. central time.
http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines ... 93001.html
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Official Release
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Media/New ... k-dam.aspx

NR 13-008: Corps completes barrier wall at Wolf Creek Dam
Posted 3/6/2013

Release no. 13-008

Contact
Bill Peoples 615-736-7161
[email protected]
Lee Roberts 615-736-7161
[email protected]
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (March 6, 2013) – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District poured concrete for the last pile of the barrier wall today, which completes the last and most critical component of the dam safety project required to mitigate seepage through the karst geology deep in the foundation of Wolf Creek Dam’s embankment. It is the last of 1,197 piles that are approximately three feet in diameter and extend up to 275 feet into bedrock below the foundation of the embankment. Altogether they interlock to form the barrier wall.

“This is a monumental occasion for both the local and downstream communities that rely on the dam for its economic and water management benefits,” said Lt. Col. James A. DeLapp, Nashville District commander.

“The Corps has been working hard to increase efficiencies while reducing the time constructing the barrier wall.Today’s completion of the barrier wall enables us to begin the process of raising the Lake Cumberland pool level.”

After a successful review period, the district plans to raise Lake Cumberland pool in increments. The initial increment will target an operating zone between elevations 700 and 705 feet or about 20 feet higher than the current range of elevation 680 and 685.

A ceremonial concrete placement and public completion ceremony is scheduled at the Wolf Creek Dam work platform 10 a.m. April 19, 2013. The public is invited to celebrate the project’s completion with the Corps, its contractor Treviicos-Soletanche Joint Venture, and other local, state and national officials expected at this event. More information will follow as the event approaches to include parking information and the agenda.

Contractors place the concrete in the last pile to complete the barrier wall deep into the foundation of Wolf Creek Dam in Jamestown, Ky., March 6, 2013. (USACE photo by Lee Roberts) (Photo by Lee Roberts)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Finally found a Lexington News story on it
http://www.lex18.com/news/corps-complet ... creek-dam/

Corps Completes Barrier Wall At Wolf Creek Dam
Posted: Mar 6, 2013 9:00 PM

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District poured concrete for the last pile of the barrier wall today, completing the last and most critical component of the dam safety project. This last step is required to mitigate seepage through the karst geology deep in the foundation of Wolf Creek Dam's embankment.

It is the last of 1,197 piles, that are approximately three feet in diameter and extend up to 275 feet into bedrock below the foundation of the embankment. Altogether, they interlock to form the barrier wall.

"This is a monumental occasion for both the local and downstream communities that rely on the dam for its economic and water management benefits," said Lt. Col. James A. DeLapp, Nashville District commander. "The Corps has been working hard to increase efficiencies while reducing the time constructing the barrier wall. Today's completion of the barrier wall enables us to begin the process of raising the Lake Cumberland pool level."

After a successful review period, the district plans to raise Lake Cumberland pool in increments.

The initial increment will target an operating zone between elevations 700 and 705 feet, or about 20 feet higher than the current range of elevation of 680 and 685.

A ceremonial concrete placement and public completion ceremony is scheduled at the Wolf Creek Dam work platform Friday, April 19 at 10 a.m.

The public is invited to celebrate the project's completion with the Corps, its contractor Treviicos-Soletanche Joint Venture, and other local, state and national officials expected at this event.

E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

...I love how these Lake Meetings or Ceremonies are held only at times unemployed or retired can make it. :P

Oh well that's why we have 911. :P

We'd send Re3 but she is normally either Snowbirding or taking one of her many naps. lol =))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

LMAO, yeah I just made Snow Bird a VERB!
Adverb coming soon.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:LMAO, yeah I just made Snow Bird a VERB!
Adverb coming soon.
Do you REALLY want me to show you what I can do wif the f-bomb here? :-B :-B
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Fission Bomb?
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

[-( [-( [-(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Media/New ... y-apr.aspx
Photos prev 1 of 1 next

The public is invited to a barrier wall completion ceremony 10 a.m. April 19, 2013 on the work platform at Wolf Creek Dam near Jamestown, Ky., to celebrate this milestone with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, its contractor Treviicos-Soletanche Joint Venture, and other local, state and national officials expected at this event. This map shows the parking area at Halcomb's Landing and location of the ceremony.
The public is invited to a barrier wall completion ceremony 10 a.m. April 19, 2013 on the work platform at Wolf Creek Dam near Jamestown, Ky., to celebrate this milestone with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, its contractor Treviicos-Soletanche Joint Venture, and other local, state and national officials expected at this event. This map shows the parking area at Halcomb's Landing and location of the ceremony. (Photo by Courtesy Asset)

Download HiRes http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/SharedMed ... 99-050.JPG

NR 13-011: Public invited to Wolf Creek Dam Barrier Wall Completion Ceremony April 19
Posted 4/10/2013
Release no. 13-011

Contact
Bill Peoples
615-736-7161
[email protected]
or

Lee Roberts
615-736-7161
[email protected]

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (April 10, 2013) – The public is invited to a barrier wall completion ceremony 10 a.m. April 19, 2013 on the work platform at Wolf Creek Dam near Jamestown, Ky., to celebrate this milestone with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, its contractor Treviicos-Soletanche Joint Venture, and other local, state and national officials expected at this event. Dignitaries will speak and initiate the ceremonial last concrete placement on the barrier guide wall, which signifies the official completion of the barrier wall installation.

“This is a monumental occasion for both the local and downstream communities that rely on the dam for its economic and water management benefits,” said Lt. Col. James A. DeLapp, Nashville District commander.

Parking for the event is available at Halcomb’s Landing. A shuttle service to the ceremony location on the work platform begins at 8:30 a.m. There will be a handicapped accessible shuttle. The public can also walk from the parking area, but it is close to a mile distance each way. Attendees are encouraged to arrive early to accommodate being in place in time for the start of the ceremony. Open seating is on a first-come basis. The remainder is standing room.

The event is planned rain or shine. A tent will cover only a portion of the seating area so participants are encouraged to bring umbrellas if inclement weather is anticipated. Portable restrooms will be available, but food and drinks will not. Participants are allowed to bring a snack and water if needed.

The Halcomb’s Landing boat ramp will be closed beginning at 10 p.m. April 18 and will reopen 1 p.m. April 19 to accommodate parking for the ceremony.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District placed concrete for the last pile of the barrier wall March 6, which completed the last and most critical component of the dam safety project required to mitigate seepage through the karst geology deep in the foundation of Wolf Creek Dam’s embankment. It was the last of 1,197 piles that are approximately four feet in diameter and extend as deep as 275 feet, traversing through the embankment, and well into bedrock. Altogether they interlock to form the barrier wall.

The Lake Cumberland pool is being raised from elevation 680 feet above sea level, which was maintained during construction, to the first incremental operating zone between elevations 700 and 705. The lake level is currently at 695 feet.

(Media Advisory: All media are encouraged to arrive early to coordinate with Public Affairs on the sequence of events and ground rules during the ceremony. Please call Bill Peoples at 615-478-1646 upon arrival to the ceremony location for a media packet and information.)

Return to “News”