Operation Dry Water Effort To Make Kentucky Waterways Safer

News only pertaining to Lake Cumberland

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Operation Dry Water Effort To Make Kentucky Waterways Safer

Post by E_ »

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=967

Operation Dry Water Effort To Make Kentucky Waterways Safer For Families And Boaters

Jun 16, 2011

FRANKFORT, Ky. – Conservation Officers with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will team up with federal, state and local law enforcement officers to make boating safer for families and others during Operation Dry Water, June 24-26.

This weekend is devoted to boating law enforcement and education both nationwide and on Kentucky’s lakes and rivers.

Now in its third year, Operation Dry Water is an initiative launched by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, the U.S. Coast Guard, and partnering state and federal agencies.

During the weekend, boaters will be contacted with safety messages at boat ramps and on the water. “Our goal is to have no boating under the influence arrests and no alcohol-related accidents,” said Capt. Mike Fields, boating law administrator for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. “Operation Dry Water is a way to get the word out that alcohol intoxication and boating don’t mix.”

Fields said almost half of Kentucky’s boating fatalities last year were alcohol related. “Most people understand the hazards of boating while intoxicated,” he said. “We want people to enjoy boating with a clear head.”

Law enforcement officers will be conducting courtesy boat inspections during the weekend. Officers can answer questions about Kentucky’s boating laws and the safety equipment required on boats.

Impaired boaters, who represent a danger to everyone on the water, are of special concern to law enforcement officers. During last year’s Operation Dry Water event, an impaired boater in Kentucky registered a blood alcohol level of 0.30 percent after a breathalyzer test. “That was the highest blood alcohol reading of all arrests nationwide,” said Fields. “The reading was almost four times the legal limit of 0.08 percent.”

Sun, wind, noise, vibration and movement, which are common to the boating environment, when combined with alcohol intake, cause fatigue which impacts a boat operator's coordination, judgment and reaction time.

For more information on Operation Dry Water, visit their website at: www.operationdrywater.org.

Kentucky’s boating laws are detailed in the free brochure Kentucky Fishing and Boating Guide, or can be read online at the department’s website: www.fw.ky.gov.

Another linked article on the page was
http://www.operationdrywater.org/

Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Re: Operation Dry Water Effort To Make Kentucky Waterways Sa

Post by FasterThanYou »

That's Thunder Run weekend. Part of the rules state the following:

" Absolutely no consumption of alcoholic beverages immediately
before or during the event. If an operator of a vessel entered into this
years Poker Run is determined to be under the influence then the
individual will be remanded to being a passenger in his own boat or
worse be disqualified and asked to remain behind and moored up. "

No problems :D

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

The claim of almost half being alcohol related is bogus. It was 5 of 14, which means it is closer to 1/3 or approximately 36%. I would like to see at least as much attention paid to the 64% of the other factors of which inattention is the most often cited factor relating to boating accidents. Few are ever cited for that, yet I see that more often. Either that or they just don't care...
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

I heard that the WP was on the look out for some dude in a red and white boat playing his music to loud and drinkin beer. This guy is EVIL!!!!!! :ymdevil:
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

Spare Change wrote:I heard that the WP was on the look out for some dude in a red and white boat playing his music to loud and drinkin beer. This guy is EVIL!!!!!! :ymdevil:
Well then, it's a good thing Islander and I didn't get caught the other night. :D :D :D :D

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

Those days are Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday. Must be going after the Houseboat rental crowd. I was out and about today and saw very few boats and NO water patrol.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Link has video http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/WKYT ... 32931.html

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/WKYT ... 32931.html

WKYT Reality Check: Drinking on Ky. waters
By: Kristen Kennedy -

Updated: Mon 11:32 PM, Jun 24, 2013

Reality Check: Drinking on Kentucky's Waters

MERCER COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - It's a little known Kentucky law that could affect your holiday plans. Did you know our state prohibits drinking alcohol in public places, including at lakes and on rivers?

Independence Day and the weekends surrounding it are considered on Kentucky lakes, the biggest, busiest times of year.

"It's gonna be slammed. Anything that floats will be on the water," Herrington Marina's Greg Richir told WKYT.

Expect to see adult beverages on the waters too. According to KRS 222.202, you're not allowed drink alcohol in public places. State waterways are considered public.

"People are always asking what the law is, and I tell them that I'm not certain myself, but I don't think you're allowed to," noted Richir, "it's not our responsibility to follow everybody around or anything like that."

When we talked to Fish and Wildlife about their upcoming Operation Dry Water, aimed at educating and enforcing rules, they compared drinking on a boat to drinking on the street. We were told no officer goes searching for alcohol on someone's boat, but they do arrest for disorderly, drunken behavior.

"I think as long as you're not the driver, you should be able to drink on the water," said Richir.

Operation Dry Water takes place this upcoming weekend. Last year, 101 officers participated. Together, they spoke with more than 3,800 boaters, issued more than 200 citations, and arrested 15 individuals for boating under the influence.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/WKYT ... 32931.html
Embedd code that doesn't work. lol
<script src="http://v9.anv.bz/scripts/anv_mcp_9.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">var p = new anv_pl_def();p.loadVideoWithKey("eyJtIjoiR1JUViIsInAiOiIxMSIsInYiOiIyNjI1MTM4In0=");</script>
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Turn your sound up!

kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

"Last year, 101 officers participated. Together, they spoke with more than 3,800 boaters, issued more than 200 citations, and arrested 15 individuals for boating under the influence".

Let's see....last year 101 officers participated from Friday thru Sunday evening, contacted 3,800 boaters and issued a whopping 200 citations and made a total of 15 arrests....out of the tens of thousands....maybe hundreds of thousands of boaters on all the lakes and rivers in the state COMBINED. Yep, sounds like a real crackdown to me. =))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, dang local news.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

What are the dates for this actual event this year? I don't think I have seen it anywhere...
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

This news story said "Operation Dry Water takes place this upcoming weekend" so I would guess the 28th thru the 30th.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.operationdrywater.org/ confirms it is June 28th thru 30th.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

Thanks E! I am still waiting for the operation "Stupid People on the Water" operation to knock out the majority who cause the accidents and deaths on the lake. It still puzzles me why those are not senationalized as much as those caused by alcohol... I think KDFWR911 even made a joke one time that 75% of the boating accidents and/or deaths were caused by those who drink coffee, tea, sodas etc... Why are we not banning those on the water?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

They might be trying in New York. lol
DMS

Post by DMS »

Agree with Islander although stupid aint illegal, if it was we could stop them at the state line. Ive seen ALOT more stupid drivers than stupid boaters and they were tested.
DMS

Post by DMS »

Trying to stop "drunk boating" is like trying to shear a pig...a lot of squealing but very little wool.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

From Conley Bottom facebook page
Conley Bottom Resort

**WARNING!!!**
INCREASED Boating Patrol seeking BUI (Boaters under the infulence) this weekend June 28 & 29. Law Enforcement from all states, with Coast Guard included will be helping patrol to keep our lake safe!

Like · · Share · 21 minutes ago
Attachments
Dry_n.jpg
Dry_n.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 5019 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Looks like it is on and with COE support. :ymcowboy:

Appears to include random vessell saftey checks (which I don't really care for since I still don't belive in protecting people from themselves. If you don't have enough life jackets, fire extinguisher, etc. that is your bad you are not hurting anyone else unless you are a commercial operation and people rely on you to have it.)

My crew and I are sitting this weekend out while our boat loaded with 15 life jackets, 3 extinguishers, etc. sits in storage. ...lol but not because of the above. Just because we have a lot of stuff to get done around home.

Return to “News”