OSS race

News only pertaining to Lake Cumberland

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

OSS race

Post by Pac22 »

Who went last yr and are you going this yr?

We jumped on Chillin's houseboat and went out in the nasty weather. Still had a great time and seeing all the racing was pretty cool. I'm just wondering about this yr with it being on the other end of the lake. Even if the weather is good I can't see the attendance being as good as last yr. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to see them return to the "good" end of the lake next yr. :D
I know a lot of folks who went last yr and do not plan to go this yr due to the location. Including myself.
Last edited by Pac22 on Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Re: OSS race

Post by $parechange »

I would love to come down for this. Anybody got a bed for me and mamaw? B-)
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Spare Change wrote:I would love to come down for this. Anybody got a bed for me and mamaw? B-)
Mamaw would be no problem but YOU are a different story! :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

_____ wrote:Who went last yr and are you going this yr?

We jumped on Chillin's houseboat and went out in the nasty weather. Still had a great time and seeing all the racing was pretty cool. I'm just wondering about this yr with it being on the other end of the lake. Even if the weather is good I can't see the attendance being as good as last yr. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to see them return to the "good" end of the lake next yr. :D
I know a lot of folks who went last yr and do not plan to go this yr due to the location. Including myself.
___

I was with you last year on Saturday and on Capt. Ahab's boat on Sunday. We are staying in Somerset and like you I think it will be not so much fun and hope they move it back to the lake next year!

Craig
MarineAssist
Better Member

OSS race update 5-13-2010

Post by MarineAssist »

I figured I woudl post this over here for everyone as well.

OSS race update 5-13-10

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find the other thread.

OK, I will fill you in from my pespective. I sat in on the meeting this morning.

We are 20 days away from the race!

The Corps has approved the permit for the race.

The Coast Guard has approved the race.

The KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife has approved the race.

The organizers are still in need of a lot of volunteers, both on the land and with boats.

The actual race course is supposed to be planned out tomorrow. At that point a decision will be made as to whether or not a safe, small idle speed corridor will be possible along one shoreline or the other, and if there will be in the water spectator room along the shorelines anywhere other than either end of the course.

My opinion.... (not based on anything oher than my own experience from last year) I think the lake will be closed to boat traffic from just west (north) of Waitsboro to just before the rusty bridge. I may be wrong, but plan for it this way and be pleasantly surprised if it not.

I think it will end up if you are allowed to beach your boat along the shoreline adjacent to the course at all, you will be forced to remain there the entire race day.

I assume if you intend to watch from your boat, you will be either on one end of the course or the other.

Race Village will be at the Center for Rural Development.
The wet pits where the race boats will be launched from will be at General Burnside Island boat ramp.

The preferred public viewing area from land will be at the Waitsboro Recreation Area. There will be no parking there. There will be shuttles to take watchers there from a couple locations, such as race village. There will be some vendors at Waitsboro as well a port-a-johns.

The Waitsboro launch ramp WILL BE CLOSED to boat launching Saturday and Sunday BUT NOT campers. The campground is booked for the weekend.

General Burnside Island Boat Ramp WILL BE CLOSED during the races and parking there will be limited, due to the space required by the race team trucks.

The preferred closest launch ramp will be Lee's Ford Marina. I have not heard if there is a plan to deal with overflow parking there or shuttles as of now. I ASSUME that will have to happen, but again, this is just my observation.

You can also launch at Slate Branch Ramp (across from Needle Point on Fishing Creek. This ramp works well and goes deep into the water, but it shold probably not be attempted by boats longer than about 25' or so unless you are extremely good a manuevering in tight spaces and backing down a narrow ramp with an odd hook at the top of the hill. Parking is limited.

Echo Point ramp would be another alternative, but again, parking issues. The ramp is good there.

Omega Park Ramp is 14 miles up the Cumberland River. It is a good ramp with some parking, but the road leading there is windy and best for boats under 23' or so. There are no lights there and no docks.

Conley Bottom is another excellent choice for a ramp and jumping off point. Plenty of parking and services. Conley is about 12 miles or so away by water.

Now, if they do indeed have to close off traffic on the lake where the course is, that would mean if you launch at Lee's Ford or Conley Bottom or Slate Branch, you will end up on the western end of the course. You MAY have access to the Waitsboro Rec area via the shoreline, maybe. You will be able to see most of the race course. I would expect there will be several rows of boats there extending toward Fishing Creek entrance. Plan on a good sized anchor and a lot of line to hold your place.

If you launch at Burnside before it is closed, Omega, Echo Point or points south, you will end up having a good view of most of the race course, plus you will be able to view the race boats as they idle back and forth between the race course and General Burnside ramp between heats. You may not be able to use Burnside ramp again to pull out until the race teams are clear.

I am pretty confident there will be a large idle speed area on each end of the course and the one on the Burnside Marina end may extend all the way to the ramp, simply to keep things in check where the spectators and race boats mix.

I do not know if transient slips are available at Burnside Marina or not, but that would be an excellent way to deal with viewing from a boat and not having to deal with a launch ramp.

I believe the Bar-B-Que restaurant will be open during the even at Burnside Marina. They also have full services, gas and such as well as some rental boats, unless all booked.

The shoreline across from Waitsboro MAY be a place to view from depending on the water level at the time. I can picture folks beaching or anchoring their boats and then walking down the bach to view the race from the shore there.

There will be a parade of race boats on US27 on Friday night, 6pm.

Devon Allman will be performing.

If you want to pay for an ad in the race brochure, you need to get it in by tomorrow, Friday May 14th. They go to print ASAP. Contact the Courier Journal.

If you are a boat volunteer, slips will be available at Lee's Ford for you for overnight in the water parking. There may be other perks as well.

This is a boomerang shaped course, so watching from the ends where the double turns are can be pretty exciting. Watching the boats manuever from that vantage point and hearing how they handle the throttles and seeing the air under the boats as they approach and leave is pretty cool.

The Start/Finish line is in front of Waitsboro Recreation area.

If you do not know where the Waitsboro Recreation area is by land..... It is accessed from US27. There is a road alongside the Wendy's that is on the line between Somerset and Burnside on the west side of the road that leads there. Remember, though, parking will not be allowed there the day of the race. Yo will have to catch the shuttle in.

Armbands will be sold on the shuttle for the viewing area at Waitsboro and Race Village. There may be other places to get them as well, but I did not hear that yet.

Let me regroup and see if I can remember anything else worth mentioning.

Originally posted by WaterWings
A fantastic and much appreciated first hand report there Marine Assist.
Thank you.

Sounds like its "All Systems Go for Launch."

I have a couple of questions...what about viewing from the Big Rusty bridge? There is plenty of room to pull off on the shoulder and could be a good viewing point from the car.
And...will there be more boats participating this year?

Thanks again for the report.

I can't answer you about the bridge, but I would bet not. They would not let people on the dam, so I can't see any difference from the bridge, plus I think it will be too far away to see a whole lot from there. I can hear a homeland security issue there somewhere in the faint distance.

The last time I spoke directly with OSS a couple weeks ago, I mentioned the same concern... will there be more boats this year. I was told there were ~25 boats last year and that is a pretty typical average number for these things. OSS will really not know exactly how many teams are coming until very close to the race. Teams can actually sign up right before the race, if they want.

They do have the advantage this year that racers from both racing organizations can compete in the others races, so there is the potential for more boats to show up.

A lot of how many show up is controlled by mechanical issues, travel time, how it fits in their individual schedules and other factors. I do know they really enjoyed coming here last year, so hopefully that will translate into more participation.

You have to remember, last year was the first. This thing is still in it's infancy. As it catches on it will become more and more heavily attended by both racers and spectators. The benefit to the local economy will grow along with it.

I guess I should point out that if you are up EARLY and put in at Lee's or one of those ramps on the western side of the course, you could probably pass through the course before they close it to the Burnside side and view from there, BUT you would have to stay on that side of the course for the entire day until the lake is opened up to boat traffic again.

The reverse is also true, if coming from the Burnside side of the course.

If you are going to be a "safety patrol boat" volunteer, understand that you will have to attend a mandatory Friday afternoon meeting to get your credentials and instructions for the race day events. You will also be expected to attend in your function for both Saturday and Sunday.

Any volunteer Pace Boats out there

Any volunteer boats and pace boats need to have a marine VHF radio. Handhelds will work, due to the short range.

You will also have to have all the required basic safety equipment and PFD's.

There is a class open to "non-professional" (for lack of a better term) boats and drivers. There is a list of requirements you need to meet to participate. Check the website if you are interested in competing
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

By the time the race is held all of the debris will be on the west end and you will be glad it is on the east... LOL

(Ok, Seriously - Normally around that time the debris field is down to around Harmon creek)
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
DMS

Post by DMS »

All though the officials already know they made a mistake going to "that" end of the lake, I think its a great big coverup. Does the boss want a $3000 per wk foreigner., sitting on a billion crane, watching pretty boats and tutte le belle donne? :-?

BTW We were there last year but not this one.

*disclaimer. "that" end of the lake and her people are great also.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

FireEscape

Post by FireEscape »

Well I will be there but I would much rather it be on the west end. :(

Hopefully next year they will bring it back to the dam and stop funking with it.

quote from website: •7 p.m. – 9 p.m., Meet the Race Teams; live entertainment at Race Village – Concert by Devon Allman’s Honeytribe

If anybody actually gets off the water by 7 Devon Allman and Honeytribe are pretty decent I saw them in a little chit hole bar a couple years ago, good show.

:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

If the east end clears up and it is a nice weekend they will get more spectators. But that is about it... I admit it has to be cleaner and safer in the West. I guess since both sides kicked in on getting it here the east end gets it turn.

Return to “News”