Needle Point to be renamed?

News only pertaining to Lake Cumberland

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Needle Point to be renamed?

Post by E_ »

This is the rumor that is rumbling around that several want to call it Pickerell Point.

Now I know that was a tragic incident but what purpose does ti server to rename this spot on the lake after someone that did not wear their life jacket and drown? What does this say to families of others that died on the lake that did not get an areas named or renamed after their loved one? Would you be ok with 76 Falls being renamed? It could have been a few years ago if people had the same thought process then...
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Re: Needle Point to be renamed?

Post by re3too »

Would not be a good idea, IMHO.... /:) #-o
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

I don't see any reason any of the lake should be renamed. Drowning or not, life jacket or not, it just doesn't make any sense. Sad but true, people drown everyday, fact of life. Especially when you have no regard for safety. :|
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

E_HILLMAN wrote:This is the rumor that is rumbling around that several want to call it Pickerell Point.

Now I know that was a tragic incident but what purpose does ti server to rename this spot on the lake after someone that did not wear their life jacket and drown? What does this say to families of others that died on the lake that did not get an areas named or renamed after their loved one? Would you be ok with 76 Falls being renamed? It could have been a few years ago if people had the same thought process then...

Agree 100% !!
Tragic accident could have been avoided had a life jacket been worn. Why glorify or memorialize it in such a public manner? There are so many other ways that families and friends can remember hier departed loved ones.

What a dim-witted idea... #-o Must have come from a politician. Next thng we know, the Governor will be calling a Special Session of the Legislature so they can make it a law...
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

I couldn't agree more. It was a tragedy but it was senseless not to be wearing a life jacket.

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
rockinrod7
Marina/Ramp: Cumberland Point

Post by rockinrod7 »

Thanks E.

I was out of office all day yesterday and asked him to post this. It was in yesterdays Commonwealth Journal and it is coming from within the school system. They have also started a new campaign and are collecting donations to promote the use of life jackets. I guess the state isn't doing a good enough job and throwing more money at it will make it better. I never have understood; such as in this case, why people drive by signs daily, see reminders at every marina, etc etc and then when someone drowns want to rename or start their own promotion. You never seen the others so what would make you look at one now. What next? Will you require monetary donations to promote seat belt usage due to the next traffic fatality because I HAVE NEVER seen one of those signs either.

As far as renaming a part of the lake the mere thought of it is RIDICULOUS and trust me when I say this.....It will be fought. ;) ;) ;)
Voting for Obama and his tax theories are comparable to a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders......Good luck everyone. :(
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “News”