Kentucky Officers Join National Campaign to Stop B.U.I

News only pertaining to Lake Cumberland

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Kentucky Officers Join National Campaign to Stop B.U.I

Post by E_ »

[flash=]Kentucky Officers Join National Campaign to
Stop Boating Under the Influence [/flash]

Jun 19, 2009

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=565

Frankfort, Ky. – Conservation officers with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will join a nationwide campaign to stop boating under the influence June 26-28. Operation Dry Water, a campaign coordinated by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, will increase law enforcement presence on the water to prevent alcohol-related boating incidents and fatalities. At least 47 states are slated to participate. Officers will be out in full force throughout the weekend on Kentucky’s lakes and rivers.

“Kentucky ranks 28th in the country for the number of registered boats, but our alcohol-related fatality rate is higher than a lot of the biggest boating states,” said Sgt. John Anderson, boating education coordinator for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. “So we have a lot of room for improvement.”

Drinking alcohol on Kentucky waters is illegal, both for boat operators and their passengers. Alcohol can impair judgment, vision, balance and reaction time. It can increase the effects of “boater’s fatigue,” a condition caused by sun, wind, noise and the boat’s vibration.

Kentucky’s boating incident statistics are sobering. While 21 percent of boating fatalities nationwide were a result of alcohol use in 2007, Kentucky’s alcohol-related boating fatalities totaled about 50 percent that year.

“This is a national concern. It’s not just Kentucky,” Anderson said. “Our goal is no fatalities on the water, and one of the ways to reach that goal is strong alcohol enforcement.”

Kentucky boaters can expect special law enforcement details at many of the state’s lakes and rivers. Boaters whose blood alcohol content levels exceed the national limit of .08 percent can expect a citation and possible jail time.

“We will have every available officer on the water June 26-28,” said Col. Robert Milligan, director of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife’s law enforcement division. “Officers will have zero tolerance for impaired boaters.”

As the boating season approaches its busiest time, many boaters visit Kentucky waters from out of state.

“We invite boaters from outside Kentucky,” said Anderson. “Our position is that taking a strong stance on alcohol makes Kentucky a safer place to boat. We’re encouraging tourism.”

Officers will also make routine checks of required boating safety equipment such as life jackets and fire extinguishers. Boaters should check the 2009 Kentucky Fishing & Boating Guide to be sure they meet all safety requirements. The guide is available online at fw.ky.gov and wherever fishing licenses are sold.

“I fully support our officers’ involvement in Operation Dry Water,” said Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commissioner Jon Gassett. “Boating under the influence is a serious threat to everyone’s safety and enjoyment on the water. Increased law enforcement presence will save lives and ease the minds of responsible, safe boaters throughout the Commonwealth.”
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
WaterWings
Better Member

Re: Kentucky Officers Join National Campaign to Stop B.U.I

Post by WaterWings »

I have it from a semi-reliable source that they have allocated $0.0 for overtime and $0.0 for fuel, boats, etc.
I would be extremely surprised to see a huge increase in WP activities over this same time last year.
This is really just a big PR thing and it won't stop me from having a cold one. :D

Of course, if you get falling down drunk and boat like an idiot on crack.....they will probably still bust you.
But that's just my opinion.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Thanks for the 411 WW, I'll just come over to your boat this weekend and blame you... :p
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

I agree WW. They say the same crap every yr and I don't notice an increased enforcement. I expect them to be out in full force July 4th weekend though.
WaterWings
Better Member

Post by WaterWings »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Thanks for the 411 WW, I'll just come over to your boat this weekend and blame you... :p
By all means come on over E.
The Sheriff of your county will probably be there too. :D :ymparty:
He is taking that new houseboat out every chance he gets.

Yep, ___ is right....they will be out in full force on the 4th... but they are every year on the 4th.
They have not increased the state budget for LE anywhere (at least I don't think so) but especially not BUI enforcement.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

So basically it means our fine officers are being pressed hard for results by people not willing to pay for them... Nice.
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER
Marina/Ramp: Burnt Store Marina Florida

Post by TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER »

Think I'll launch on the day it ends!!! :)) :)) :))

Cause I'm recovering 12oz at a time...
MY BABY WAS BOTTLE FED, IS YOURS???
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER wrote:Think I'll launch on the day it ends!!! :)) :)) :))

Cause I'm recovering 12oz at a time...

The day it ends?? I don't see it ever starting.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I hope ur right.

Return to “News”