A visit to the Big Four Bridge in Louisville

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Sunset Lady

A visit to the Big Four Bridge in Louisville

Post by Sunset Lady »

We walked across the Big Four bridge in Louisville, a few weeks ago. The view from the bridge was great! I am looking forward to going back when Indiana opens up their side. The crane that you see in one of the pictures, is work starting on the new bridge they are building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_Bridge

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: A visit to the Big Four Bridge in Louisville

Post by E_ »

cool pics
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
JLA

Post by JLA »

You're making me homesick! I was born and raised in the Ville.

BTW when the bridge first opened to the public, it was in the news everyday due to people walking their pets and not cleaning up after them. It got so bad that pets are not allowed on the bridge anymore. We are talking dozens of piles each day.
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Sounds like the docks. Why no webcam the bridge and nail the suckers with community service cleaning the entire bridge if they don't clean the pile.
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

You failed to mention if it was cold. We took our grandson across that bridge in September. It was a fairly warm, sunny day but it was VERY WINDY and we were just plain COLD before we reached the Indiana side (where you cannot get off, BTW).

Thank goodness there was a White Castle nearby (Corner of 1st and Market) where we could warm up with a fun lunch. ;) Grandpa and grandson enjoyed it. Grandma, not so much.
JLA

Post by JLA »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Sounds like the docks. Why no webcam the bridge and nail the suckers with community service cleaning the entire bridge if they don't clean the pile.

They even talked about having "doggie bags" in several places on the bridge, but decided people would just chuck them into the river instead of the trash cans. L-)
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

The Louisville group. that was in charge, over the Big four bridge project, appealed to all the dog owners to take responsibility for their dogs. They gave it several months for people to improve. It was reported on all the news stations, they even had a big event to bring attention to it at the bridge. But no improvement was made, so dogs were banned from being on the bridge.

The day we went was one of the warmer days, and it was very pleasant on the bridge.

Indiana has delayed the opening of their side, I think three times now. Latest date I heard was sometime in the spring. Lots of small shops and cafe's are supposed to be opening up within walking distance in Indiana. Sounds pretty good, I am looking forward to the opening.

Cpt Bob, maybe next spring you can revisit on a warmer day and be able to have lunch on the other side in Indiana :)
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

Sunset Lady wrote:Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Cpt Bob, maybe next spring you can revisit on a warmer day and be able to have lunch on the other side in Indiana :)
For sure we will do that. Another grandson lives in Mississippi and, when he comes to visit us around Easter, we'll make a point of letting him "walk across the Ohio River".

A personal note: I have lots of memories of the bridges at Louisville.
My wife and I grew up in the West End of Louisville. In early 1963 (while the Sherman Minton Bridge was under construction and the approaches were not yet finished), Mary (my fiancé at the time) and I climbed up onto the SM bridge and walked across to New Albany, IN. Once there, on a lark, we stopped by a jewelers shop and bought our wedding bands. Climbed up onto the bridge and walked back to Louisville. Our family and friends thought we were nuts. We were 20 years old and everything was an adventure. We married that April and moved to Nashville.

Lots of memories and stories about those bridges: 2nd Street, K&I, Big Four, "Swinging bridge" over the Portland Canal and later, the Interstate bridges. ;)
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

A personal note: I have lots of memories of the bridges at Louisville.
My wife and I grew up in the West End of Louisville. In early 1963 (while the Sherman Minton Bridge was under construction and the approaches were not yet finished), Mary (my fiancé at the time) and I climbed up onto the SM bridge and walked across to New Albany, IN. Once there, on a lark, we stopped by a jewelers shop and bought our wedding bands. Climbed up onto the bridge and walked back to Louisville. Our family and friends thought we were nuts. We were 20 years old and everything was an adventure. We married that April and moved to Nashville.

Lots of memories and stories about those bridges: 2nd Street, K&I, Big Four, "Swinging bridge" over the Portland Canal and later, the Interstate bridges. ;)
That is a wonderful story, and many great memories that you and your wife have :)

Speaking of "swinging bridges" I also walked across one of those scary bridges when I was younger.
I was visiting my grandmother, who lived in eastern KY, very close to West Virginia. My older cousins were walking across it ,and I wanted to be cool, so I went too. Very very scary walk :D It was across the Big Sandy River. My parents also drove us across another one at a different location. An interesting memory of my childhood.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I heard Grider Hill had a "swinging bridge" lol
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

Don't even want to know.....lol ! =))

Return to “KY Talk”