Rash of Kentucky lawyer suicides concerns colleagues

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Got this from Dolphin...

MPII ever heard of such? wow :-o

Varied reasons cited for deaths in recent years; bar president urges lawyers to watch out for each other

Jun. 3, 2013 |
Written by Andrew Wolfson

Lawyers and suicide

From 1999 to 2010, suicide rates for American adults age 35 to 64 increased 28 percent, from 13.7 to 17.6 for every 100,000 people, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported recently. For men in that age range, the rate is 27.3 percent.
There are no recent studies of the suicide rate nationally for lawyers — in part because most states don’t track suicide by occupation. But some older studies suggest it is higher:
• A 1997 study of life insurance data found that lawyers in Canada were six times more likely to kill themselves than the general population.
• A 1991 study of lawyers in North Carolina found that 26 percent had symptoms of clinical depression and 12 percent said they contemplated suicide at least once a month.
• A 1991 study at Johns Hopkins University of 12,000 workers found that lawyers were the most depressed of 28 occupations and 3.6 times more likely to be depressed than average.

One was a former University of Kentucky basketball player who practiced in Leitchfield, Ky. Another had been commonwealth’s attorney in Kenton County.

A third was a Louisville lawyer who helped battle the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville over cases of priest abuse — and whose Facebook photos still show him snowboarding, scuba diving and sightseeing with his family.

Jim Dinwiddie, Harry Rankin and Ross Turner all died in a similar way: They killed themselves.

So did Michael Jamison and Brent Travelsted of Bowling Green, Tod Megibow of Paducah, William P. Whalen Jr. of Fort Wright, Finis Raymond Price III and Dan Thomas Schwartz of Louisville, David Andrew of Crescent Springs, Leroy “Lee” Rowland of Lexington and Brad Goheen of Calvert City.

They are among at least a dozen lawyers in Kentucky who have committed suicide since 2010, including three in Louisville and three in Northern Kentucky. Half died in the past 12 months. All were men, their average age 53, and most were trial lawyers.

Kentucky doesn’t track suicides by occupation. But citing his recollection from 38 years of practice — and amid studies that show lawyers are six times more likely to kill themselves than the general population — Kentucky Bar Association President Doug Myers said the number of suicides among the state’s 17,500 lawyers is “disproportionate” and “disconcerting.”

Myers, who was so concerned that he wrote about the issue in a recent edition of the bar association’s quarterly journal, said in an interview that he doesn’t remember any similar spate of suicides by lawyers earlier in his career.

In a recent post, legal blogger Shannon Ragland, publisher of the Kentucky Trial Court Review, called the suicides by “middle-aged trial lawyers” an “apparent epidemic” and said the issue deserves serious attention and study by the KBA and the Kentucky Justice Association, the state trial lawyer group.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MPII

Re: Rash of Kentucky lawyer suicides concerns colleagues

Post by MPII »

Yea, its unfortunate. I had two pretty good friends that were great attorneys that just couldn't handle the stress. Usually what happens is they drink way too much, start messing up on client's cases, or develop some other form of addiction usually leading to either disbarment or suicide. Many attorneys are embarrassed to say "I'm depressed" because they think they need to be some kinda hot shot "shark" image. I know several friends of mine that are attorneys that should be in some type of counseling/therapy but they don't believe in that sort of thing so they just drink, which, is a depressant and only makes things worse. Its a pretty high stress job and, at least in my practice, deal with everyone else's problems all day. Attorneys have a higher addiction rate than the normal population. In Columbus, we have a "Lawyer's Assistance Program" that will step in if they believe you've got a problem. No matter what, you can to any bar around the Courthouse at 4:30 and see the same faces sitting there every day. Truly is sad though, they leave behind their family members, children, friends, etc.

That's why I try to get to the lake (my therapy!)...but....ashamed to say, not nearly as much as I want!!!!
Character is not what you do or say when everyone is watching you, its what you do and say when no one else is around.
MPII

Post by MPII »

Character is not what you do or say when everyone is watching you, its what you do and say when no one else is around.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

wow :-( I would have never thought such....
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “KY Talk”