Bungee Jumpin near Lock 5

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Bungee Jumpin near Lock 5

Post by E_ »

Hey Lock 5 did you see this?
Published: February 24, 20132013-02-25T02:43:47ZBy Greg Kocher Herald-LeaderRead more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/24/2530 ... rylink=cpy

Old Kentucky River railroad bridge will become bungee-jumping platform

A car rounded a curve on the U.S. 62 bridge next to Young's High Bridge over the Kentucky River between Anderson and Woodford counties. Young's High Bridge, an old railroad trestle, soon will become a platform for bungee jumping, according to the company Vertigo Bungee.
Greg Kocher | Staff — Lexington Herald-Leader

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/24/2530 ... rylink=cpy

Old Kentucky River railroad bridge will become bungee-jumping platform Published: February 24, 2013
2013-02-25T02:43:47Z
By Greg Kocher Herald-Leader

TYRONE — A former railroad bridge that spans the Kentucky River from Anderson to Woodford counties will become a platform from which bungee jumpers will dive.Young's High Bridge — not to be confused with High Bridge that spans the river between Mercer and Jessamine counties — was purchased for $105,000 by Young's Bridge Partners LLC, according to a deed filed in Anderson County.Mitchell Morris of Springfield is listed as the organizer and member of Young's Bridge Partners. Contacted Sunday, Morris said he was general manager of Vertigo Bungee, a 23-year-old company that does base-jumping events across the country and around the world. He said the Tyrone bridge would be a marquee spot for the sport."It's going to be the highest platform bridge jump in North America," Morris said. "Anything over 200 feet is premium, and that one is 240 feet from the water."Morris, a Lexington native, said Vertigo Bungee would operate the bridge as a private club not be open to the public. He said it would be the "Augusta National" of base-jumping sites, referring to Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia, home of The Masters golf championship."We're going to work with it as a world-class resource, because it is," Morris said. "It is a rare, rare piece of property. It's a 124-year-old bridge that's 240 feet above the water, that nobody cares to use except for bungee jumping. Find me a duplicate like that."The website for Vertigo Bungee shows a photo of the bridge and the declaration "We own it!"The company hopes to have the first jumps off the bridge in May, Morris said. Before then, a deck and handrail need to be installed on the span, he said."The railroad rails we're taking up, and so what's left are ties," he said. "And so, you have to build a deck on top of the ties so you have a good sidewalk."Morris said the bridge would be used for jumps perhaps only 10 weeks a year. "We're going to bring in people with different themes and sponsors, and do a number of events, raise money and create exposure," he said.Vertigo Bungee has more than 20 years of film footage documenting bungee jumps, and Morris hopes to film jumps from the Tyrone bridge to include in a 2015 documentary about the sport.The company also hopes to pitch a reality series called Join Us for Launch that would highlight the sport, Morris said.Young's High Bridge stands next to the U.S. 62 bridge for vehicular traffic. The bridge is named for Bennett Henderson Young, a Nicholasville native and Confederate soldier who became president of Louisville Southern Railway.Congress approved construction of the span in 1888. Work began early the next year, and the first train crossed it in August 1889."The completion of the bridge was a gala event for Anderson and Woodford counties," a newspaper reported at the time, "and thousands had come by boat and carriages to witness the crossing of the first train."The last passenger train crossed the bridge in 1937, and most freight traffic was gone by the 1970s. The last diesel engine crossed the bridge in the 1980s.Ten years ago, a nonprofit charitable organization called Tyrone Bridge and Rail Co. tried to raise money to preserve the bridge. But that group dissolved in 2011, according to the website for the Kentucky secretary of state.Norfolk Southern Railway Co. donated the bridge to Young's High Bridge Historical Society LLC in July 2008, according to a deed filed in Anderson County.Then, in October, the historical society sold the bridge to Young's Bridge Partners. But it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that Morris announced plans for the bridge in The Anderson News, Lawrenceburg's weekly newspaper.Morris, 49, said he had made "a couple hundred jumps over 20 years.""That breathless, weightless feeling when you accelerate and give yourself over to gravity from a standstill" is what makes the sport addictive, he said. "Skydiving and things like that — you've got noise and wind and airplanes. Whereas this is much more intimate and breathtaking."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/24/2530 ... rylink=cpy
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Bungee Jumpin near Lock 5

Post by E_ »

Here is another view looking back at the curve the photo above was taken from.
8-5-2012 Versailles Train ride to Tyrone Bridge 3.jpg
8-5-2012 Versailles Train ride to Tyrone Bridge 3.jpg (169.94 KiB) Viewed 5220 times

We were taking a train ride from Versailles to the bridge and then backwards back. lol
8-5-2012 Versailles Train ride to Tyrone Bridge 2 (Custom).jpg
8-5-2012 Versailles Train ride to Tyrone Bridge 2 (Custom).jpg (95.76 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Avery was about 2 weeks from being 2 years old. :)
8-5-2012 Versailles Train ride to Tyrone Bridge 1 (Custom).jpg
8-5-2012 Versailles Train ride to Tyrone Bridge 1 (Custom).jpg (139.11 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

Walked on that RR bridge many times. Back then it was still in use by the railroad. Grew up about a 1/2 mile up the hill. Also have crossed all the way under the car traffic bridge. Young and DUMB. #:-s
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

I know what you mean Pop-O, I walked on a RR bridge like that one (in Eastern KY) when I was young with my cousins, I got half way across chickened out and went back. They continued on and crossed safely, but we were very Young and Dumb.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

I have urinated off that bridge facing the traffic on the car bridge...... Beer it's some powerful stuff.......

The bungee jumpers bought it, and they will have it until someone gets hurt and they can pay for insurance anymore....
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

...and they saw NOTHING. ROFL!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

...and I bet that was just last week. LMAO! :P
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

There used to be several platforms built out to the sides of the trestle. They held water barrels to put out a fire I guess. You could stand on them when the train went by. Done that too. This would be the old steam engine trains. Grandfather told the story of getting caught out there with several of his hunting dogs. All he could do to keep them there when the train went by.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !

Return to “KY Talk”