Lake Jericho Dam in Henry County KY could fail.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Lake Jericho Dam in Henry County KY could fail.

Post by E_ »

http://www.wlky.com/r/27666665/detail.html - Emergency Officials Evacuate Sulphur
http://ulocal.wlky.com/_2011-flood-/pho ... tId=485815 Pictures
HENRY COUNTY, Ky. -- Henry County emergency officials are evacuating residents in Sulphur.

Click Like For Louisville News Updates:
According to emergency officials, an estimated couple of hundred people will be evacuated as a precautionary measure due to a potential breech in the Lake Jericho Dam.

Officials said all people who live in Sulphur and surrounding area should move to higher ground.

The Sulphur Church will be set up as a temporary shelter.

From http://www.henrycountyky.com/community/LkJericho.htm
Lake Jericho is a 137 acre lake located in Henry County, Kentucky and is operated by The Little Kentucky River Watershed Conservancy District. It opened for business on July 25, 1969. A daily admission fee is charged to anyone on the property. This fee, in combination with camping, boating fees, etc. is used to maintain and operate the park.

The park area is open daylight hours and has lots of bank fishing area as well as picnic tables and grills. Two shelters with restrooms are available on a first-come basis and shelters may be reserved for family reunions, company picnics, church outings, etc.

Camping is available on a first come basis also. The camping season is April through October and campsites may be rented nightly, weekly or monthly. There are 62 RV sites with electric and water. Approximately half of the sites have sewer hook-ups and a dumping station is also available. Many tent sites are located in the center of the campground.

All boats put on the lake must pay a launch fee ($4.00). The is no size limit on boats, but the entire lake has a NO WAKE SPEED--which is strictly enforced. Rental boats are 14' jon boats with oars and may be rented daylight hours only. If you have your own motor, you may use it on a rental boat. If you do not have your own life preservers, they may be rented from us. Senior Citizens may rent boats for 1/2 price on weekdays.
(The depth ranges from 10 to 40 feet,
with the lake being the deepest toward the dam.)

More photos from Lake Jericho...

All fishermen MUST have a Kentucky State Fishing License. Fishing is allowed with rod and reel only. Common fish species caught are largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, and catfish. State regulations are enforced.

Pets are allowed but must be kept on a leash.
Rowdy and disorderly conduct will not be tolerated!!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Sunset Lady

Re: Lake Jericho Dam in Henry County KY could fail.

Post by Sunset Lady »

Wow, I grew up in Henry County and used to live about 5 miles from there. Thanks for the information.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

NWS: initial failure of Lake Jericho dam; flooding imminent

Post by E_ »

http://www.wave3.com/story/14513690/nws ... ericho-dam

NWS reports initial failure of Lake Jericho dam; flooding imminent in Sulphur

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 7:28 AM EDT Updated: Apr 26, 2011 7:35 AM EDT

SULPHUR, KY (WAVE) - The National Weather Service has reported that the dam at Lake Jericho is in the initial stages of failure.

The NWS reported the dam was in the initial stages of breaching at 6:16 a.m. Tuesday after residents were ordered to move to higher ground about 6:30 p.m. Monday.

If the dam at Lake Jericho fails completely, the small town of Sulphur in Henry County could be flooded.

Residents of Sulphur are urged to evacuate to higher ground.

We'll bring you the latest information as soon as it becomes available.

Copyright 2011 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Watch this video, it appears to be a dirt fill dam with a spill pipe.
http://www.lex18.com/videos/precautiona ... m-failing/ they also stated in 04 it failed as well. :o

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. :(

Here is another story with a pic and shows the dirt slipping at the base
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Offici ... ated-.html

Here is another story with more vid.
http://www.wave3.com/story/14511465/pro ... nry-county
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

One would think they would come up with a better solution to fix the problem. I feel sorry for those people who lost everything in the flooding.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Where did you get this info? Make sure it's accurate before posting! :D :ymdevil: =)) O:-)
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

oh thats enough from the
Attachments
peanut-gallery.jpg
peanut-gallery.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Hey! I'm jist doin' what I gotta do! :D ;;) :p B-)
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)

Return to “KY Talk”