Dolphin
Marina/Ramp: lake Cumberland

Somerset Airport to offer Flight schedule

Post by Dolphin »

Commuter Service set to take flight at Somerset airport

By HEATHER PYLES, CJ Staff Writer
Commonwealth Journal

December 16, 2008 07:03 am

— A decade-long effort to expand flight services at Lake Cumberland Regional Airport was finally rewarded Monday as local community leaders and a large group of Pulaski County citizens alike gathered to celebrate the first commuter service at the local airport.
Congressman Harold “Hal” Rogers, Somerset Mayor Eddie Girdler and Pulaski County Judge-Executive Barty Bullock all expressed excitement for the culmination of the project that began 10 years ago and brought Florida-based start-up carrier Air Azul — that’s “blue” in Spanish — to the community.
“I can’t believe where we are,” Rogers said during the ribbon-cutting. “We have seen tremendous progress take place these last several years.”
Rogers, Girdler, Bullock and several others all expressed their appreciation for the efforts on the part of past officials such as former mayor JP Wiles and former judge-executive Darrell Beshears for their efforts in bringing a commuter service to the area.
“This service ... didn’t come overnight,” Bullock said. “It took a lot of effort from a lot of folks.”
Girdler reached an agreement with Air Azul in September to bring a limited commuter service to Somerset. Flights to Nashville, Tenn. on small planes is hoped to begin sometime in the next month or so.
And soon, area residents will be able to watch the City of Somerset launch into the wild blue yonder — literally. The first plane available for flight has been named “City of Somerset” in celebration of the event.
A $3 million new terminal was also completed earlier this year at the Lake Cumberland Regional Airport — formerly the Somerset-Pulaski Airport — as part of the expansion efforts. The new 13,000-square-foot, glass-bedecked terminal was financed by a grant through the FAA and Kentucky Department of Aviation, with a small amount of local match money required.
The terminal has been readied for commuter service, and the airport’s security system was approved by the Transportation Security Administration, clearing the path for Air Azul to come in and start sending off safe flights.
That step was only the latest in a long succession of actions carried out by Somerset and Pulaski County in an effort to bring the service to the area. A runway extension, the creation of taxi ways, an instrument landing system, an air service grant and other changes were all required to ensure that Somerset would see its first commuter service.
“There’s not a cloud in the sky,” Rogers said about the “long overdue” completion of the project. “There’s a lot of rain,” he joked. “But not a cloud in the sky. I think we’re ready for lift-off.”
The flight schedule will start out relatively limited, with approximately four flights a week to be offered. That number will expand until a full seven-day-a-week operation is put into place.
“This is not just a Pulaski County project,” Bullock said during the ceremony. “It’s a whole southeastern Kentucky project.”
Local officials are hopeful the new service will become a boon to the area economy in a time when businesses and individuals alike are struggling to remain above water.
“You know the sky’s the limit,” Bullock said.
Girdler said he is confident that Somerset and Pulaski County will continue to grow with the help of businesses such as Air Azul.
“In these hard times, I think we can grow,” Girdler said.
Rogers said the new service will bring possibilities to the area that may not have been available before.
“I think you will see results,” Rogers said. “I think you will see businesses and industries who wouldn’t usually pay attention to you (Somerset and Pulaski County) pay attention to you.”
Bullock, Girdler and others also thanked Rogers for his part in bringing Air Azul to Somerset.
“We followed his (Rogers’) guidance and his (Rogers’) leadership, and I think it’s going to pay off,” Girdler said.
Air Azul spokesperson Trevor Sadler thanked local leaders and officials for their efforts, and he said Air Azul is hoping to stay in Somerset for the long haul and grow alongside the area.
“We’re here because we want to be here and grow with you,” Sadler said during the ceremony.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Somerset Airport to offer Flight schedule

Post by E_ »

Well so much for that.... lol
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “KY Talk”