Lock Four At Frankfort On Kentucky River Repaired; Guided To

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Lock Four At Frankfort On Kentucky River Repaired; Guided To

Post by E_ »

From - http://www.lex18.com/news/lock-four-at- ... -re-start/
Lock Four At Frankfort On Kentucky River Repaired; Guided Tours To Re-Start
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 1:56 PM

The Kentucky River Authority said Thursday that Lock Four at Frankfort has been successfully completed and tested, meaning Frankfort is once again connected by water to downstream locations for the first time since damage closed the facility two years ago.

"We are ecstatic about this great news, said Canoe Kentucky co-owner/manager Nathan Depenbrock. "And we will immediately restart our 'lock-through' cruises from Riverview Park this weekend."

Guided trips that offer both an urban and rural paddling experience will begin at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays by reservation at the park's dock off Wilkinson Boulevard on July 31 and will continue through Labor Day weekend.

The $40 cost per person includes safety instructions, paddles, personal flotation devices (life jackets) and historical commentary along this unique stretch of the Kentucky River that served as a prime motive for Frankfort's founding.

For reservations, call (502) 227-4492.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Re: Lock Four At Frankfort On Kentucky River Repaired; Guided To

Post by Lock5 »

That increases my pool of water tremendously, might just have to lock through this weekend. :ymhug:
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

When are you going to take me from your dock to the Ohio River and back?
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

That would be a long ride in a 25 mph pontoon, but hey what are the weekends for?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Exactly, I'll by the second tank of gas!
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

We can meet at the Ohio and go to Hooters for dinner!!!! :D
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nope you have to take the multiple hour ride up through the locks with us!

(lock I guess we could pull your trailer up to the Newport Boat ramp and leave it parked there with a truck on Friday night and then start the ride on Saturday AM up the KY ;)
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

I'm ready when you are......... I may go to Monterey(Lock 3) on Sat.
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

So where is the furthest point up river you could launch a pontoon? A trip like this is why I wanted a trailerable boat this time around.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

Furthest point up river to lauch would be Clifton(Versailles) in Woodford County, then on weekends you could go all the way to Ohio River at Carrolton.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

So the neat looking stretch that I-75 goes over is not boatable. :(
I've always thought that looked like a neat piece of water.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

You can boat the section that I-75 goes over, you will only be able to travel from Lock 10(Boonesboro) to Lock 9(South Lexington). I'm not sure of the distance between those two, but It's about 20 miles between most Locks on the river. If you want to boat that section there is a ramp at Boonesboro just below Lock 10.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

I'll do that one of these days. If it's where I think it is, I guess that's lock 10 we played around at one weekend on the way to the lake. Radar showed massive storms covering lake cumberland, so we decided to stop and check out fort boonesboro since it wasn't raining that far north. Kids really enjoyed the day, and by the time we got to the lake, the weather was good enough to get out and do some late day boating. We still consider it one of the best lake weekends ever.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I have boated from the Boonesboro ramp to the dam(lock) at Clay's Ferry. It was a pretty cool ride. Just watch your idle speed when you pass some of the marinas. I was out of gear completed and just floating with the higher than normal water and set off a alarm and had a guy come yell at me. He could not get it in his head my drive was not even engaged. I was just running with the flood water. Now on the way back I had no problem going slow enough even in gear..

I'm thinking "Forum Fall Cruise" for the locks from Frankfort to Cincy... We launch at Frankfor Friday night, then we find a marina in Cincy or Newport that will let us all leave our trailers at and then carpool back to our boat/s tied off either at Lock's dock or the Frankfort Marina if they allow it.
(and if I can get away from the house for a Saturday with a newbord heck for all I know I may not want to get away since I don't know what babies do to ya mentally yet.)
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

I'm in.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I have boated from the Boonesboro ramp to the dam(lock) at Clay's Ferry. It was a pretty cool ride. Just watch your idle speed when you pass some of the marinas. I was out of gear completed and just floating with the higher than normal water and set off a alarm and had a guy come yell at me. He could not get it in his head my drive was not even engaged. I was just running with the flood water. Now on the way back I had no problem going slow enough even in gear..

How was the ramp at boonesboro? My setup is a little long, so I need a pretty good place to launch.

I'm thinking "Forum Fall Cruise" for the locks from Frankfort to Cincy... We launch at Frankfor Friday night, then we find a marina in Cincy or Newport that will let us all leave our trailers at and then carpool back to our boat/s tied off either at Lock's dock or the Frankfort Marina if they allow it.
(and if I can get away from the house for a Saturday with a newbord heck for all I know I may not want to get away since I don't know what babies do to ya mentally yet.)
I've never river boated before, so locking would be a new thing for us, but it's something I want to do.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

the 7th and 14th I can't but after that we might be interested. my toon will only hit about 20 at full power.

Return to “KY Talk”