Hey Lock5 Tell us about the locks

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Hey Lock5 Tell us about the locks

Post by E_ »

What do you think about these stories? I saw something on the news tonight but could not find the story on their site but found these that are similar.

Vote gives Frankfort lock new life
BOARD AGREES TO $1.25 MILLION FIX TO KEEP KY. RIVER FLOWING
http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/985104.html

Kentucky River: A river to nowhere
Groups push to overturn decision to close locks
http://www.kentucky.com/179/story/982597.html

I am guessing the story I saw was related to this
On Tuesday, the KRA's board will be asked to reconsider its action.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Re: Hey Lock5 Tell us about the locks

Post by Lock5 »

Well it's pretty easy, I live on pool 4 between Locks 4-5, going up river Lock5 and all others have been disabled and concrete walls poured where the lock gates once were. But going down river Lock4-3-2-1 have been operational on weekends only so you could still get to the Ohio river on weekends if you wanted. This past summer Lock4 (downtown Frankfort) was closed for repairs all summer, and Lock3 Was also closed most of the summer. So long story short instead of 100 miles of river to run on the weekends we have been captured in the pools of water we live on(approx 20 miles of river). To be honest I nor most others on our pool of water seldom Locked through anyways, but there are several that live downtown Frankfort that would Lock through to our pool of water because we have a very nice natural beech that 25-30 boats will be at every Sat.-Sun. I personally think they should keep them operational, it's a small amount of money to rebuild them in the grand scheme of things, but if they need to cut spending then I'm allright with that too. If you every come down to our pool on a warm sunny weekend you will be surprised at the number of boaters you will see.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Hey Lock5 Tell us about the locks

Post by E_ »

Could have been a big tourist bizzz too especially if someone started running flat bottom paddle boats down thru the locks to make it like the olden days. I sure would go and do it every once and a while. Like a all day run from Frankfort to the Ohio and then they shuttle you back or something.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “KY Talk”