Marine radios.

Anything that goes on or with boats

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Sunset Lady

Marine radios.

Post by Sunset Lady »

What type of marine radio do you have, and how far do they transmit?
Looking to buy one, need recommendations.
Thanks
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Marine radios.

Post by E_ »

I have
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... rchID=4006

&

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... 006&r=view

&

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... rchID=4006

They work great together. Ole captain Bob tipped me off to the antenna setup. I pick up what others with the big antennas pick up.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

A typical fixed mount VHF 25 watt radio connected to an 8' antenna will typically transmit about 20 miles or so.... but only in "line of sight". If you have a mountain in the way between you and the person you are trying to reach, it may or may not work to well.

Sometimes they will work great and surprise you, and other times not so great.

I can communicate with most boats from my antenna at the shop in Jamestown all the way to past Grider and over past Mill Springs. I can reach all the marinas except Lee's Ford by radio. That is from my base station up on the hill.

When I am on the boat, I can reach another of my boats over a pretty good distance, but we use bigger antennas and different radios.

A lot of how well yours will work will depend on where on this lake you use it.

I have a new Standard Horizon Eclipse DSC+ GX 1150 radio in stock, brand new. $119.95. I also have a stainless ratchet antenna mount in stock and an 8' antenna. We can also install it for you, if you need it.

Don
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

I've asked this before, and don't remember the answer. Would I be better with a permanently mounted 8' antennae mounted on the side of my pontoon, or a 3' setup like E posted that I can temporarily fix to the bimini support post which would result in the tip of the antennae being the same height as an 8 footer mounted to the side? I realize best option would be as big of an antennae as possible mounted as high as possible, but being what boat it's going on, these are my two options.
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

I will need it for a pontoon also. But I will be needing it for Green River lake. Would a hand held model transmit very far?
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

Thanks E for your recommendation, that may be what we will get, when we buy the pontoon.
Husband only wants to use the handheld one, so we will see who wins out. :))
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

A fixed mount radio is far and away a better investment than a handheld. You can only expect about 5 miles of reception when transmitting from a 5 watt handheld unit.

As for the 8' vs 3' antenna... again, if you are talking about here on these lakes, the 3' is probably fine. If you were coastal or otherwise in a flat area the 8' would get you heard over a longer distance than the 3'.
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

Thanks Marine Assist for your advice.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

I was anchored out at the dam yesterday listening to Don (Marine Assist) receive and respond to a call on the VHS.
JabezBoy
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs Marina

Post by JabezBoy »

"I was anchored out at the dam yesterday listening to Don (Marine Assist) receive and respond to a call on the VHS."

I'm not sure I know what to say to that. You may need to get out more E. :-D
"Boats - Vessels of Freedom, Harbours of Healing - Boats"
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

The point was my lil system was picking things up fine from there. I also hear a lot of chatter on it during Poker Run and have been able to talk back and fourth with people that are miles away.
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

MarineAssist wrote:A fixed mount radio is far and away a better investment than a handheld. You can only expect about 5 miles of reception when transmitting from a 5 watt handheld unit.

As for the 8' vs 3' antenna... again, if you are talking about here on these lakes, the 3' is probably fine. If you were coastal or otherwise in a flat area the 8' would get you heard over a longer distance than the 3'.

Then I will look at options to install the 8'. I don't like doing things "fine". ;)

Return to “Boat Accessories”