Electrical inspection

For customers and slip holders of State Dock Marina / Resort

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Electrical inspection

Post by Pop-O »

Watched the inspector checking our row. Talked with him a while. He did not put out any Orange warnings but took notes of issues. He said he had absolutely no authority to cite anyone and likely nothing would get fixed, just as last year when Orange stickers were everywhere and not much was corrected.

Just got an e-mail from SD. Must have got their attention. Sounds like they may tighten up a bit.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Re: Electrical inspection

Post by Pop-O »

The state electrical inspectors have been here several times and are mandating that we make corrections to violations in the private slips. The common violations of code are below:

Lighting
All lighting must be rated for wet areas and must be installed 8' above the deck. Decorative lights or Christmas type lights may say 'outdoor" but they are not wet rated and are not permitted. If there is no tag that says the lights are rated for wet areas, they must be removed. No lighting is allowed around the perimeter of the docks at deck level.

Extension Cords
The Electrical Code states that Extension cords cannot be used as permanent wiring. That means that they cannot be left plugged in when not in use and cannot be used on things that need to be plugged in continuously like a refrigerator. That also applies to power strips. They can only be used for temporary use and cannot be left plugged in and strapped to the poles and must be put away when not in use.

Power Strips
The use of Power Strips is not permitted except on a temporary basis. This falls under the same rule as an extension cord being used for permanent wiring. They can be used for a project and then put away but cannot be attached to the dock supports and left plugged in. Since you can't use power strips, the alternative is to have additional outlets installed. This would have to be done by a licensed electrician.

Electrical Installation
Any modification of the electrical system such as adding outlets must be done by a licensed electrician. All new work must be inspected by the State Inspector for the Parks (This is different from the other state inspectors) Installation of lights that are plugged into an existing outlet can be done without a licensed electrician.

I don't agree with much of this regarding the lights and cords but we don't have any choice at this point. Being located on State Park property brings a different set of inspectors and more stringent standards than the other marinas. On the positive side, I believe we have the safest marina on the lake.

Please remove all items that are in violation as soon as possible. After the weekend of August 4th, we will remove all lighting and cords that are in violation and neatly roll them up and leave them on your deck or boat.

If you would like to replace your lighting with approved lighting, we have purchased a supply of rope lighting and fittings and will sell it to our customers at our cost. The inspectors say they will accept this if installed properly. It has to be 8' high supported by a separate wire and plugged into a ground fault plug without an extension cord. If you like to see an example of a proper installation there are several slips at the beginning of the 600 row that have done this.

If you need some plugs added, please e-mail me and we will compile a list and then have a licensed electrician quote the work. I think it will be much cheaper if the electrician can come do several slips at the same time.

If you have any questions, please call any time.

Bill Jasper
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Safety is good
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

Sounds like a good start...

Return to “State Dock”