John S. Davis, Jr. 11-19-1928 - 2-17-2023

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

John S. Davis, Jr. 11-19-1928 - 2-17-2023

Post by E_ »

From - https://www.facebook.com/groups/LakeCum ... 8854040801

John S. Davis, Jr. 11-19-1928 - 2-17-2023 **== @};-
20230419_133849.jpg
20230419_133849.jpg (3.67 MiB) Viewed 117 times
Keeping up with our theme of boats on Lake Cumberland and older boats etc. The cover photo is going to shift to the boat in the photos below in Memory of John Davis a long time Lake Cumberland Boater.

I met John through his wife Barbara aka RE3 on the Lake Cumberland forums and chats. Over the years though I held Barb in high regard I could not help but pester her. As our acquaintance grew into more of a friendship, I learned John was there with Barb observing and giggling of the pestering. At this point I knew I had a kindred spirit beyond the keyboard. Speaking of keyboards if you should reply to this be sure to make some grammatical errors just for Re3. For me, I don’t even have to try…

John S. Davis, Jr. as stated above was a Lake Cumberland Boater, but John was much more than that. He was a loving father, husband, and follower of our Lord. John is a World War II veteran with the US Navy. He was originally from Delphos, Ohio and eventually over time solidified his boating adventures with Barb by moving to the Lake Cumberland area. Like many of us, they did not just enjoy boating but they would hike and I believe camp in the area. As I discovered off lake fun in the area like Yahoo Falls or the natural arch or any of the other trails I learned more of their own adventures and visits to the beautiful places. Further into their adventures they began wintering in Florida. Ohhh the joy this gave me to call Re3 a snowbird. Many many posts pestering of this activity each year would be made. As the years progressed Florida became their more permanent location but they continued to both visit Ky and of course boated in Florida with the Alligators.

As stated John served time in the US Navy and that to me is quite a service to be honored for alone. But, this manly man was not contained to just his service to our country. John could boat and do all the outdoorsy things. He could drive a semi back when they did not have the automatic transmissions or air ride seats and comfort cabs. And yet, he was MORE. John was also quite an intelligent fellow who shared his knowledge and wisdom as a teacher to many of the next generations. Yet again John was even more… I personally couldn’t really attest to his faith other than knowing he must be a good guy to be able to laugh with us vs being angry at my pestering of Barb or other dumb antics. As I had the opportunity to attend his celebration of Life last year, I got to hear his Church attest to his love for the Lord and the works brought forth from he and Barbara. We can put all the service medals, good deeds otherwise aside. This to me is his crowning jewel. I knew in my heart in the few in person visits I had; I was in the presence of a good man but the attestations of his Church family confirmed it.

I know this is a VERY hard time for Barbara being the first year Anniversary of John’s passing on, but I hope she finds some Love and virtual hugs via this post.

I await the day we all get to gather in God’s Glory and see one another again. Sadly, I don’t know if our normal shenanigans pestering Barb will be allowed, but I’m sure it will not matter then. Just think of the wonders and greatness he is experiencing in the presence of our Lord. I am sure his boating adventures are all we can imagine as he awaits his love to join him.

“ Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face”

Until then John, I’m glad Barbara is here to carry on your memory and legacy. I know she pours her love into the Church and even finds time to help me settle my own soul as life and this world is always doing it’s best to take our focus off the main goal and purpose. Thank you for allowing me to be a small part of your lives and I know we will see each other again.

Please, if any of the boating friends and acquaintances of John and Barb from Conley or Grider, etc. see this, please share your memories. Photos if you have them. Barb, if I messed anything up as usual, just let me know.

E
Attachments
JSD4.png
JSD4.png (448.32 KiB) Viewed 117 times
JSD3.png
JSD3.png (243.77 KiB) Viewed 117 times
JSD2.png
JSD2.png (612.47 KiB) Viewed 117 times
JSD1.png
JSD1.png (672.4 KiB) Viewed 117 times
20230419_133927.jpg
20230419_133927.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 117 times
20230419_133919.jpg
20230419_133919.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 117 times
20230419_133903.jpg
20230419_133903.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 117 times
20230419_133837.jpg
20230419_133837.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 117 times
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”