Lake Cumberland Info

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Lake Cumberland Info

Post by E_ »

Wolf Creek Dam ranks 22nd of the one hundred largest dams in the U.S. and required 11,568,900 cubic yards of material in original construction. It is over a mile long at 5,736 feet. (The concrete portion is 1,796 feet long; the earth fill portion, 3,940 feet.) It is 258 feet high at its tallest point.
Lake Cumberland averages (source: USACE)
Completed for Flood Control in 1950, Completed with Power Generation 1951, Final generators and construction 1952)

(Current Levels - https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Lake-Levels/Wolf-Creek )
The normal summer pool is around 723 feet above mean sea level (during normal periods when there is no construction work on Wolf Creek Dam).
The tree line is about 725 feet.
The maximum pool is 760 feet (Flood Gate peak)
The top of Wolf Creek Dam is 773 FASL.
Normally the winter pool is around 700-710 FASL but is set and listed as 690 and could always be set for that.
Power cannot be generated below 673 so you will see that listed as 'Dead" for Power Generation.

Average depth of lake at summer pool of 723 feet (220 m) above sea level: 90 feet (27 m)
Deepest point in lake: original river channel adjacent to Wolf Creek Dam: 200 feet (60 m)
Depth of river channel upstream of dam to Wolf Creek: generally 160 feet (50 m)

The lowest recorded water levels—
673.01 January 1, 1954 – Lowest recorded level since lake was filled
677.80 February 9, 1977 – This was a dam repair period

The highest recorded water levels—
756.52 - 5 am Tuesday Feb. 26th 2019
76 Falls Feb 26th 2019 b.png
76 Falls Feb 26th 2019 b.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 9141 times
76 Falls Feb 24th 2019.png
76 Falls Feb 24th 2019.png (819.2 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
751.70 May 13, 1984 – Recorded at 2 a.m.
76 Fall 1984.jpg
76 Fall 1984.jpg (74.56 KiB) Viewed 9627 times
747.12 April 15, 1962 – Recorded at 4 p.m.

https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Media/Ne ... to-recede/
Lake Cumberland hit a record lake level Tuesday, Feb. 26, and Wolf Creek Dam has also reached record releases today. Water levels are beginning to recede.

Lake Cumberland reached elevation 756.52 feet 5 a.m., Tuesday, which is the new pool of record. The previous pool of record of 751.69 feet stood since May 1984. The releases this morning at 8 a.m. were 59,880 cubic feet per second, which is also a record for discharge from Wolf Creek Dam.
Stats from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Cumberland

Lake Cumberland impounded from the Cumberland River by the United States Army Corps of
Engineers' construction of the Wolf Creek Dam in 1952.Wolf Creek Dam is the 22nd largest dam
in the United States, and cost $15 million to construct originally, with an additional $65 million
needed almost immediately to fix problems which became soon apparent. It is estimated that the
dam has prevented more than $500 million in flood damages since its construction.

The normal summer pool is around 723 feet (220 m) above mean sea level.
The tree line is about 725 feet (221 m).
The maximum pool is 760 feet (232 m) at the top of dam floodgates
The top of Wolf Creek Dam is 773 feet (236 m).
Lake is considered at "flood control" level from 723 to 760 feet (220 to 232 m).
Normal power drawdown is between 723 and 673 feet (220 to 205 m).
At 760 feet (232 m) elevation, the shoreline of Lake Cumberland is 1,255 miles (2,020 km).
At maximum possible elevation of 760 feet (232 m), Lake Cumberland is considered to be 101
miles (163 km) long, with a total surface area of 65,530 acres (265.2 km²).
Surface area at 723 feet (220 m) is 50,250 acres (203 km²).
At minimum power pool of 673 feet (205 m), the surface area is 35,820 acres (145.0 km²).
Average depth of lake at summer pool of 723 feet (220 m) above sea level: 90 feet (27 m)
Deepest point in lake: original river channel adjacent to Wolf Creek Dam: 200 feet (60 m)
Depth of river channel upstream of dam to Wolf Creek: generally 160 feet (50 m)
Depth of river channel upstream of Wolf Creek to one mile (2 km) upstream of Burnside:
generally 120 feet (37 m)
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Lake Cumberland Info Average Temps

Post by E_ »

Lake Cumberland averages (source: USACE)—

AVERAGE MONTHLY
WATER TEMPERATURE
January 48 °F | 9 °C
February 44 °F | 7 °C
March 48 °F | 9 °C
April 55 °F | 13 °C
May 66 °F | 19 °C
June 76 °F | 24 °C
July 82 °F | 28 °C
August 84 °F | 29 °C
September 79 °F | 26 °C
October 70 °F | 21 °C
November 58 °F | 14 °C
December 51 °F | 11 °C

AIR TEMPERATURE
IN °F — HI | MEAN | LOW
January 42 | 33 | 22
February 47 | 36 | 25
March 58 | 46 | 34
April 67 | 55 | 41
May 75 | 63 | 50
June 82 | 71 | 59
July 86 | 75 | 63
August 85 | 74 | 62
September 79 | 68 | 56
October 69 | 57 | 43
November 58 | 47 | 35
December 47 | 38 | 27

AVERAGE MONTHLY
PRECIPITATION
January 3.80 inches
February 4.00 inches
March 4.70 inches
April 4.30 inches
May 4.70 inches
June 4.20 inches
July 4.60 inches
August 3.90 inches
September 4.10 inches
October 2.90 inches
November 4.30 inches
December 4.60 inches
E_
Site Admin

Re: Lake Cumberland Info

Post by E_ »

https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Location ... rland/FAQ/

Pulled 1-16-2019
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the average elevation and temperature of Lake Cumberland?

A: The normal pool elevation (summer pool) is 723 feet above mean sea level. This elevation is near the tree line around the lake. Throughout late summer and fall, the water levels drop due to summer weather patterns, hydro-power generation and normal evaporation. The opposite occurs during the winter and spring seasons. The maximum recorded elevation was 751.42 in the spring of 1994 1984. The surface water temperature during the summer months range from 78 to 83 degrees and 40-45 degrees during the winter.
Old 1984 record broken between 8 and 9pm on Feb 23 2019
New Max Elevation updated in 2019 still rising as of 2-25-2019 - 756.07+

Q: What is the deepest part of the lake?

A: The deepest part of Lake Cumberland is 200 feet at 723’ pool elevation and is located in the original river channel near the dam.

Q: What Rules and Regulations govern the land and waters of the lake?

A: The Rules and Regulations governing public use of the Corps of Engineers water resources development projects are found in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Visitors are bound by these regulations. A fine may be issued to violators of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than six months or both. A copy of Title 36 Rules and Regulations is available at the Lake Cumberland’s Natural Resource Management Office.

Q: I live adjacent to the lake and want to know where my property ends and public property begins?

A: The public property line is referenced with yellow paint on trees. Boundary line signs are also present in some areas. The painted trees are not the actual property line, but indicate on which side of the tree the property line is located. When you build or purchase a home adjacent to public property, please be sure that you know where the exact boundary is. It is the responsibility of each adjoining landowner to know the exact location of his or her property lines and corners. Information on the property lines can be obtained by visiting the Natural Resource Management Office. If you have a question pertaining to the line, a ranger will be glad to meet with you on-site.

Q: Am I allowed to cut, trim, underbrush, or maintain trees and other vegetation on public property?

A: No. These types of activities are expressly prohibited unless the activity is covered under a previously grandfathered landscaping permit. No new landscaping permits are being issued. Existing landscaping permits become null and void once the original permittee no longer owns the property. Individuals who obtain adjacent property from a permit holder must allow the public property to return to its natural state. Cutting of trees, destruction of public lands and properties, and vandalism is a federal offense. Help us protect these resources for long-term enjoyment and future generations.

Q: Am I allowed to place a private dock on the lake?

A: As of January 11, 1995 the entire shoreline of Lake Cumberland was converted to a “Protected Shoreline” status. Applications for new dock permits are no longer accepted in accordance with the Lake Cumberland Shoreline Management Plan dated May 2, 1994. All private docks with a current permit are allowed to remain on the lake under a grandfather clause. This means that the Resource Manager will honor all existing permits for private docks unless the structure presents a safety hazard, the permittee fails to comply with the conditions of the permit, or the District Commander revokes the permit when the public interest necessitates such revocation.

Q: Is hunting allowed on the public lands that surround Lake Cumberland?

A: Yes. Hunting, fishing, and trapping are permitted except in areas prohibited by the District Engineer. These prohibited areas include developed recreation areas such as day use areas and campgrounds, lease areas, marinas, etc. All Federal, State, and local laws governing these activities apply on Lake Cumberland and the surrounding public land.

Q: Can I place brush, Christmas trees, etc. in the lake for fish attractors?

A: Yes, however you must coordinate this activity through a Ranger and obtain a Specified Acts Permit (free of charge) with guidelines. You may not cut live vegetation for fish attractors unless written permission is given. Man-made attractors may be approved by contacting the Natural Resource Management Office at (606) 679-6337.

Q: Where can I ride my ATV?

A: You may NOT ride an ATV, off-road vehicle, motorcycle, or other motorized vehicle anywhere on Corps of Engineers property that encompasses Lake Cumberland. The U.S. Forest Service has several authorized ATV trails located in adjacent counties to the lake. You may contact their office at (606) 376-5352 for more information.

Q: Do I need a permit to primitive camp on the shoreline or the islands?

A: No, but you must camp at designated areas. There are no reservations available to these sites; they are first-come, first serve. Also, please do not leave fires unattended, gather only dead wood for burning and pack out all trash associated with your camping trip. To obtain a primitive camping map you may contact the Natural Resource Management Office at (606) 679-6337 or view it on our primitive camping page.

Q: Can I use my metal detector around the lake?
A: That depends. According to an official memorandum of policy from the Directorate of Civil Works and dated March 10, 1989, metal detectors are allowed under certain conditions. The use of metal detectors will be allowed on public beaches or other previously disturbed areas that do not contain or would not reasonably be expected to contain archaeological, historical, or paleontological resources. Nonidentifiable items, such as coins of nominal value ($25.00 or less) do not need to be deposited with the natural resource manager or ranger. Identifiable items (rings, watches, etc.) or items or greater than nominal value will be deposited with the natural resource manager or ranger. Digging shall be limited to hand tools that can be used by one hand only. Hand tools shall be limited to 4 inches wide and 12 inches long. All trash uncovered must be removed and placed in an approved trash receptacle. All soil disturbed or displaced shall be returned to its original state. In addition, we would ask that any such approved use of metal detectors take place during times when it will not interfere with the public’s recreational use of an area, i.e. not on busy weekends at beaches and recreation areas.

Q: Does Lake Cumberland have a Visitor Center?

A: Yes! We are located at 855 Boat Dock Road Somerset, KY. Take Highway 27 South to red light #29 and turn left onto Boat Dock Road. Travel approximately .7 of a mile to the Natural Resource Management Office on the right. We are open Monday through Friday 7:30 A.M – 4:00 P.M. Eastern Time, except Federal Holidays. For more information, call (606) 679-6337.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Attachments
Screenshot_20190214-201511_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190214-201511_Facebook.jpg (764.01 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Only the COE can really answer as to why, however my guess is while maintaining a difficult balance of winter pool draw down, ability to generate power, and holding back water from downstream that wold have caused flooding they were unable to safely drain off enough in time. They held back the recent rains to give enough time to shore up some roads and Marinas to prep before they released a higher level today before the rains start today.

Our FB group has quite a bit of info (lots of post to weed through) but it is there with audio info on the reason for hold back this week and release that started today. etc.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Location ... Creek-Dam/
Wolf Creek Dam & Hydropower
The Lake Cumberland reservoir is 101 miles long in length and has 1,255 miles of shoreline, providing a total storage capacity of 6,089,000 acre-feet (1 acre-foot = 1 acre, 1 foot deep or 325,850 gallons). The upper portion of the reservoir containing 2,094,000 acre-feet of area, is used to hold floodwaters which would otherwise cause flooding downstream. Such impounded water is utilized to the maximum extent possible for power production and the surplus water is released through the spillway gates after any flood danger had passed.

Of the remaining 3,995,000 acre-feet of reservoir capacity, 2,142,000 acre-feet, corresponding to a drawdown of 50 feet, is allocated specifically for power operation, leaving a minimum pool of at least 1,853,000 acre-feet available at all times for public use and conservation purposes. The electrical energy produced by the project is sufficient to supply the needs of an average city with a population of 375,000. Incidental to the production of power, the water released through the turbines provides a favorable streamflow below the dam. In supplementing low flows, this water improves domestic water supply, reduces stream pollution and provides aid to navigation.

The reservoir normally fluctuates between 50,250 acres at the top of the power pool and a minimum surface area of 35,820 acres. During periods of high inflow, when it is necessary to utilize the floor storage, the surface area may reach 63,530 acres. However, such floods occur infrequently, and the levels resulting from minor floods and power operations do not seriously interfere with most recreational activities.

DAM
Type Concrete-gravity and earthfill

Quantities: Concrete, cubic yards 1,380,000
Earthfill, cubic yards 10,016,500
Dimensions:
Maximum height, feet 258
Length, feet (concrete, 1796; earth, 3940) 5,736
Elevations (above mean sea level):
Top of dam 773
Top of gates 760
Spillway crest 723
Spillway crest gates:
Number and type 10, Radial
Size (width and height), feet 50 X 37
Discharge capacity, c.f.s. 553,000
Sluices
Number of conduits 6
Size (width and height), feet 4 X 6
Total discharge capacity, c.f.s. 9,800

HYDROPOWER Installation
270,000 kw in 6 units
Rating, each generator, kilowatts 45,000
Estimated energy output, average yearly, kilowatt-hours 800,000,000

RESERVOIR
Drainage area, square miles: 5,789
Length of pool at Elev. 760, river miles: 101
Length of shoreline, pool at Elev. 760, miles: 1,255
Area, acres:
Top of flood-control pool (Elev. 760) 63,530
Maximum power pool (Elev. 723) 50,250
Minimum power pool (Elev. 673) 35,820

Storage capacities, acre-feet:
Flood control (Elev. 760 - 723) 2,094,000
Power drawdown (Elev. 723 - 673) 2,142,000
Dead (below Elev. 673) 1,853,000
Total (below Elev. 760) 6,089,000
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

DAM

Type

Concrete-gravity and earthfill

Quantities:

Concrete, cubic yards

Earthfill, cubic yards

Dimensions:

Maximum height, feet

Length, feet (concrete, 1796; earth, 3940)

Elevations (above mean sea level):

Top of dam

Top of gates

Spillway crest

Spillway crest gates:

Number and type

10, Radial

Size (width and height), feet

50 X 37

Discharge capacity, c.f.s.

Sluices

Number of conduits

Size (width and height), feet

4 X 6

Total discharge capacity, c.f.s.

HYDROPOWER

Installation

270,000 kw in 6 units

Rating, each generator, kilowatts

Estimated energy output, average yearly, kilowatt-hours

RESERVOIR

Drainage area, square miles:

Length of pool at Elev. 760, river miles:

Length of shoreline, pool at Elev. 760, miles:

Area, acres:

Top of flood-control pool (Elev. 760)

Maximum power pool (Elev. 723)

Minimum power pool (Elev. 673)

Storage capacities, acre-feet:

Flood control (Elev. 760 - 723)

Power drawdown (Elev. 723 - 673)

Dead (below Elev. 673) Will not generate power below this level

Total (below Elev. 760)

E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Realized I never added the Record Lake Cumberland Statistic for the 2019 High
https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Media/Ne ... to-recede/
Lake Cumberland hit a record lake level Tuesday, Feb. 26, and Wolf Creek Dam has also reached record releases today. Water levels are beginning to recede.

Lake Cumberland reached elevation 756.52 feet 5 a.m., Tuesday, which is the new pool of record. The previous pool of record of 751.69 feet stood since May 1984. The releases this morning at 8 a.m. were 59,880 cubic feet per second, which is also a record for discharge from Wolf Creek Dam.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/wolf-cree ... questions/
When was the Wolf Creek dam built and why?
Wolf Creek Dam was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1938 and the Rivers and Harbor Act of 1946. Construction of the project, designed and supervised by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, began in August 1941. After a three-year delay caused by World War II, the project was completed for full beneficial use in August 1952.

The dam was completed for flood control operation in 1950. Three of the six hydroelectric generating units were placed in operation in 1951 and the remaining three in 1952. Operation of the lake is for the primary purposes of flood control and the production of hydroelectric power. The cost of the project was approximately $80.4 million.
Info on Barrier Wall completion in 2000s - https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Media/Ne ... rier-wall/

JAMESTOWN, Ky. (March 6, 2013) – Construction workers placed concrete for the last pile today, which completes the underground barrier wall and paves the way for raising the Lake Cumberland pool level. It is the last of 1,197 piles that are approximately four feet in diameter and extend 275 feet from near the top of the dam into bedrock below the foundation of the 4,000-foot long embankment of Wolf Creek Dam.

After a successful review period, the district plans to raise Lake Cumberland in increments. The initial one will target an operating zone between elevations 700 and 705 feet or about 20 feet higher than the current range of elevation 680 to 685.

According to Bernie Kearns, materials engineering technician, more than 170 cubic yards of concrete went into the last pile and altogether the Corps placed nearly 300,000 cubic yards of concrete in building the entire barrier wall and work platform.

“That’s enough to build a sidewalk four or five feet wide from here to Washington D.C.,” Kearns said. “That’s a lot of concrete. It’s hard to imagine.”

December 2013 is the original completion date for the barrier wall. As the project proceeded toward completion, the Corps and the contractor, Treviicos-Soletanche Joint Venture, improved efficiencies and work processes, all the while keeping job safety requirements at the forefront. As a result the Corps completed the barrier wall installation nine months ahead of schedule.

John Schnebelen, Nashville District safety officer at the project site, said to date the men and women on the construction site have accumulated more than 1.2 million hours without a lost-time accident.

“Everything just gets slowed down significantly when you have accidents on the job site,” Schnebelen said. “When you talk about production you talk about productivity and safety – they both go hand in hand.”

Wolf Creek Dam is on the Cumberland River in south central Kentucky. The lake’s huge water storage capability provides downstream communities with important flood risk reduction, and additional water resources supporting commercial navigation, water supply, water quality, hydropower, and environmental benefits.

Lake Cumberland is the largest reservoir east of the Mississippi and the ninth largest in the United States. It impounds 6,089,000 acre-feet at its maximum pool elevation of 760.

Since January 2007 the Corps has operated the reservoir at its current lower level to reduce water pressure against the dam and its limestone foundation. The barrier wall is designed to stop seepage through the karst limestone geology in the foundation of the earthen embankment section of the dam.

Bill DeBruyn, resident engineer for the Wolf Creek Dam Foundation Remediation Project, said everyone in the region is celebrating the completion of the barrier wall, which reduces the risk of a dam failure and makes communities downstream more safe.

“The main purpose of this project was to cut off the flow through the rock structure in the foundation of the dam. And by the completion of this wall we should be able to, provided we have the concurrence of the Risk Management Center, start raising the lake incrementally,” DeBruyn said.

He commended the Corps team and the contractor for working together safely to get ahead of the construction schedule and ultimately reaching this completion milestone.

“We’ve had a very good safety record – I think we’ve had two years without a lost-time injury… we’ve gained several months on the schedule right here at the very end,” DeBruyn said.

Initial planning efforts for the repair action commenced in 2004. Corps officials approved a major rehabilitation report that authorized the construction features in 2005. The $594 million project includes a significant cost-share requirement with the Southeast Power Administration, which is contributing $327 million toward the project.

Several other contracts have been completed as part of the overall project. The Corps made improvements to parking and the boat ramp at Halcomb’s Landing to accommodate logistics requirement near the work platform in 2007. Initial grouting took place from September 2006 to November 2008 and another contract took care of drilling and grouting in the dam’s plaza and gallery from August 2011 to November 2012.

A ceremonial concrete placement and public completion ceremony is scheduled at the Wolf Creek Dam work platform 10 a.m. April 19, 2013. The public is invited to celebrate the project’s completion with the Corps, its contractor Treviicos-Soletanche Joint Venture, and other local, state and national officials expected at this event. More information will follow as the event approaches to include parking information and the agenda.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”