State Dock or Jamestown?

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Mccoy38
I posted something! WooHoo!

State Dock or Jamestown?

Post by Mccoy38 »

Hi all,

Avid boater here and New to the board. Looking for some outsider assistance. I hope some may have experience at both locations to help me.

We are considering bringing our 380 Carver to Cumberland from the Ohio River in Louisville. While we love the easy access to the boat on a Wednesday night and drive 15 min to get to it on weekends, the conditions each spring result in terrible boating conditions until about Middle June / July and this last flood has pushed me over the edge to move it next season. Not to mention its just not lake boating which is something I really miss.

I am trying to gain perspective on Jamestown and State Dock.

-From here it seems Jamestown is about 30 min closer by land, maybe even 45 min which is a big plus.
-I spent some time on State dock this summer and while very,very nice, lively dock and clean, the parking situation and access to your slip seemed exhausting. Water taxi, take dog out etc seemed like a pain.
-Also it seems the slip rates are higher at state dock compared to JM.

- I have zero experience at Jamestown, went to fuel dock once..... but the open slip pricing and covered slips for that matter are more reasonable to what we pay here or KY lake which is where I grew up boating.

I've always been a big advocate that you get what you pay for but I also make sure I am comparing apples to apples.

Does anyone have experience at both marinas on an annual slip rental basis ? I am planning on making quite a few trips this summer to the in-laws lake house and can walk the docks but its not the same as having your boat there and dealing with the people and the dock managers. Knowing the rules at both places from being there, the type of atmosphere, or if one dock master is easier to get along with than another.

Any help would be great.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: State Dock or Jamestown?

Post by E_ »

Both have their great qualities. BUT Jamestown is indeed MUCH more convenient from a trip to the slip standpoint. They run regular land and water shuttles like clockwork where you could take a land shuttle to the ramp and then after 20 steps take a water shuttle with your gear to your boat during most daylight hours and some after daylight hours.

Please don't tell them prices are more reasonable as I still think they are high. lol

You can still take your boat or take a shuttle over to State for Parties and to their store/outdoor café for a change of scenery but I never get tired of JRM's café or store either. VERY friendly staff always ready to help. The slip holders I have encountered at JRM are like a big family.

Just remember when we get big rains (thought not as dirty) we still get some debris even on the west end of Cumberland so you still have to boat safe for the logness monsters that float just below the surface.

Just My opinion only. Maybe I can get LC and Jan@$$ to give a more experience pov.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
jazzgirl831
Marina/Ramp: Jamestown

Post by jazzgirl831 »

Jamestown all they way! of course, I'm partial. I have been there for 25 years, and still prefer it. Closer from Louisville, which is where I live. amenities are great. Staff is friendly and helpful.
restaurant is great, as well as ship store, and fuel pier is easily accessed. Come on down and join the family. You won't regret it. :) :)
Mccoy38
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by Mccoy38 »

Thank you for the reply's, I for sure do not think the prices are reasonable! haha Good feedback, thank you.

The covered slips are very nice but we do not have them here so I am use to it, I guess I am trying to justify the added expense. Spiders and birds seem to be a pain with the covered slips but really like the winter lay up in covered and the pop up storm cover when there.

I think we will give it a shot next season. I will still be cautious b/c of the expense to move, ease to check on things here and prep during the week to be able to actually boat on the weekends and not spend so much time cleaning and getting ready for the weekend. The 2.5 hr drive on top of washing the boat or fixing something when I get there could become a issue but guess that's part of it.

Speaking of, how are the mechanics down there? Ship stores parts? Is a tech available when needed or are you waiting weeks to get them to your boat? Are there guys washing boats for reasonable pricing? Something I will have to figure out so I can enjoy my time there.

Will be down some this summer to walk around and feel everything out. I love Cumberland.
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER
Marina/Ramp: Burnt Store Marina Florida

Post by TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER »

State Dock is newer, an has many amenities not offered at any other dock, including me!!!
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

I to am on a river although a much smaller one(Ky), I'll take the flooding and the occasional muddy water over the 2 hr. Drive everyday. I could never go back to hauling my crap 1-2-3 hrs to boat again. If I decide to go for a ride on my boat or my Waverunner it take me less than 10 minutes to be on it, untied, and in motion.

I tell my wife if I win the Lottery I would buy a houseboat and a helicopter........no pushing a dang cart 2 miles for me. :D
No Patience
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by No Patience »

TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER wrote:State Dock is newer, an has many amenities not offered at any other dock, including me!!!
That should be be your answer Jamestown. =))

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”