The removal of Omega Marina (a environmental issue?)

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

The removal of Omega Marina (a environmental issue?)

Post by E_ »

Pretty Sad

R. A. G. L.

2 hrs

This should make all us "love the lake" boaters happy!!!!! Who is supervising this idiot that is removing the old Buck Creek Marina???????????? He is breaking the styrofoam right at the edge of the water/ramp. YES I am PISSED! I will be calling the Corp!
Omega.PNG
Omega.PNG (570.62 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: The removal of Omega Marina (a environmental issue?)

Post by E_ »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5857732 ... p_activity

Its hard to get a feel for what is going on there, can't tell by pics. I want to give the benefit of the doubt that some of that happened as he pulled them out of the water and maybe some of it was already there from spring floods etc but it sure does look as the poster states. She was there so I would guess she should certainly know more from first hand experience. It will be interesting to see how the corp feels.

Omega 1.jpg
Omega 1.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 2.jpg
Omega 2.jpg (134.67 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 3.jpg
Omega 3.jpg (89.6 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 4.jpg
Omega 4.jpg (103.46 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 5.jpg
Omega 5.jpg (112.54 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 6.jpg
Omega 6.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 7.jpg
Omega 7.jpg (136.17 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 8.jpg
Omega 8.jpg (116.24 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 9.jpg
Omega 9.jpg (123.93 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Omega 10.jpg
Omega 10.jpg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Seaforyourself
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by Seaforyourself »

I agree that there is a big mess, however these pictures were taken while the contractor was actively working on the ramp. These things take time and sometimes look unsightly. A little more patience removing this eyesore is in order. I mean how do you expect anyone to get an old marina saturated with age old Styrofoam out of there? Have a helicopter swoop in and carry it away. Have you ever been to a demolition site before? They make the biggest messes ever and by time its all done it looks beautiful. Give the contractor some time, the end result will have this multi-year eyesore gone before you know it.
Seaforyourself
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by Seaforyourself »

While agree there is a mess at times, these pictures were taken while the contractor was actually working on the removal. As you know you have to make a mess to clean a mess. So, in all reality it's really not that bad. In fact at the end of the day the majority was cleaned up and boats were launching without any problems. You have to realize that the styrofoam is old and falls apart as soon as you tamper with it. Short of a helicopter swooping in and taking away the old marina, I am not sure how it could be done any prettier. If you have ever been to a construction site where they are demolishing something, there is typically a big mess until it is all over with, then it looks as good as new. So, I think a little patience here will go along way and in the end this multi-year eyesore will be gone. Yaay!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Thanks SeaforYourself, I tend to have to agree with you.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

I think sometimes, just hiring in some local teens to "dismantle" the area with the styrofoam would be just as economical (an alot more tolerable) than just breaking things up then having to collect what didn't float away.

On another note, I watched many times the ducks at JRM actually pecking away (and swallowing) the styrofoam under the dock that was covered in moss and thought there must be a better solution for floatation.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I think Marine Assist now installs some sort of large black poly floats.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”