BUI's

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

MPII

BUI's

Post by MPII »

There was a topic on a different Forum I wanted to comment on, however, I feel more comfortable here. (Not as much criticism).

There are a lot of people LOTS of people that Drink and Boat. I have to admit, I've done it. Not to extreme (unless I'm a passenger) but yes, I've been out, even on my own, and had a cold one here and there.

The reason I am bringing this up is because there was a question on the other forum that was "what does someone have to do to be pulled over."

I've talked to some of the Patrol Officers. I've been told that unless you are doing something to make them pay attention to you, they will not pay attention to you. I believe the most common stupid mistakes that get people pulled over:

1. To fast in No Wake Zones
2. Driving too close to other boats.
3. Having a boat overloaded
4. People sitting on swim platforms and fronts of boats while under way.
5. Just being plain old stupid.

We play it safe, keep everyone under control, and make sure we are properly equipped. No one in my vessel is flashing around booze, throwing stuff in the water, moving around while under way. Just sit back and relax until we get to our destination. I personally believe the patrol does a pretty good job.

Anyway, my 02/100
Character is not what you do or say when everyone is watching you, its what you do and say when no one else is around.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Re: BUI's

Post by kdfwr911 »

MPII sorry you didn't feel comfortable posting your response on the other site. :(

What you said above is pretty accurate, but I'll add something to #5. We used to sit in the dark idle zones around the marina's at night and listen to the boats that came and went. You'd be surprised how many BUI's can be picked off by doing this. It's dark so they couldn't tell who we were sitting there and thus didn't alter their behavior so as not to draw attention to themselves and get stopped. Almost like shooting fish in a barrel because sound travels so well on the water at night (plus their 360* stern light illuminates the passenger area pretty well) that it's very easy to tell which boats are doing the hard partying just by listening to them as they come and go in the idle zones. :ymparty: Boats that enter and leave quietly :-$ didn't draw our attention unless their navigations lights wasn't working properly or something like that. If you sit and listen to a boat load of drunks come into the idle zone at night sometime you'll know what I mean on this one. It's almost like they're shooting flares into the air to draw attention to themselves and they can be picked out from half a mile away just by listening to them when they don't know you're there. It also gives the officers plenty of PC to stop the boat to investigate.

As for the safety inspection stops, based on my training at the police academy, I don't think they'd ever stand up if challenged in the courts....at least not on inland bodies of water, and the last directive I recall getting from HQ on that subject was that we were NOT to stop solely for a safety inspection unless one was requested by the captain of the boat. PC was required for the stop just the same as on the highways. Don't know if that policy has changed since I retired or not, but I seriously doubt it.
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

911, I could pull up with my boat load of girls totally straight and you would think they were drunk! Not to say that they are or are not, and we have actualy been out with not a single one of us drinking, but these girls are loud just being together! :D ;) ;;)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

The reason I asked the question n the other site was to get public clarification as was was presented on the WKYT story. I really worry the way they showed the COE doing safety checks and made statements that they would hold for KDFWR worried me on the gestapo image it might give others. I just wanted to trigger a rebuttal :-)
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MPII

Post by MPII »

Yea, something like this on the other site would draw a lot of criticism. Thanks for the input, you obviously have a lot more experience than I do. I think overall, we just don't let things get out of control. In addition to getting the BUI, if I wrecked or something happened, then I also cause others injury and pain. I have found that you just have to be careful and watch out. One good example is poker run weekend in Harmon. I don't even have a single beer because I am too busy keeping people from running into my boat. I hate going to places that crowded.

Thanks again!

kdfwr911 wrote:MPII sorry you didn't feel comfortable posting your response on the other site. :(

What you said above is pretty accurate, but I'll add something to #5. We used to sit in the dark idle zones around the marina's at night and listen to the boats that came and went. You'd be surprised how many BUI's can be picked off by doing this. It's dark so they couldn't tell who we were sitting there and thus didn't alter their behavior so as not to draw attention to themselves and get stopped. Almost like shooting fish in a barrel because sound travels so well on the water at night (plus their 360* stern light illuminates the passenger area pretty well) that it's very easy to tell which boats are doing the hard partying just by listening to them as they come and go in the idle zones. :ymparty: Boats that enter and leave quietly :-$ didn't draw our attention unless their navigations lights wasn't working properly or something like that. If you sit and listen to a boat load of drunks come into the idle zone at night sometime you'll know what I mean on this one. It's almost like they're shooting flares into the air to draw attention to themselves and they can be picked out from half a mile away just by listening to them when they don't know you're there. It also gives the officers plenty of PC to stop the boat to investigate.

As for the safety inspection stops, based on my training at the police academy, I don't think they'd ever stand up if challenged in the courts....at least not on inland bodies of water, and the last directive I recall getting from HQ on that subject was that we were NOT to stop solely for a safety inspection unless one was requested by the captain of the boat. PC was required for the stop just the same as on the highways. Don't know if that policy has changed since I retired or not, but I seriously doubt it.
Character is not what you do or say when everyone is watching you, its what you do and say when no one else is around.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

MPII wrote:One good example is poker run weekend in Harmon. I don't even have a single beer because I am too busy keeping people from running into my boat. I hate going to places that crowded.

LOL AMEN TO THAT!!! I go in sober, and come out sober and a completely on edge from the DWS offenders
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

When I go I go in sober and come out sober but really can't remember much in between. :)) Usually only go on poker run weekend and then I spend the night there.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, I'm in and out like a parade. Didn't even go last year. Don't plan on it this year.
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

Well since were all making confessions so will I.
I spent the last week at the lake and every day that I went out on the water I took beer along and I had a few. The key here moderation! and understanding your role when out on the water. 4 or 5 beers over the course of 6 hrs is probably not even going to register on a person of my size. only because all I do is eat while I am out there lol, but I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying a few beverages while out on the water. It was a great week even with the rain, just sucks being back at the work this morning :((
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

I have called Cumberland my second home for 36 years,and for the last 20 years Ive consumed my fair share of alchyhol....one thing I have learned is honesty,respect and common sense goes a long way with the water patrol....maybe some day that will bite me in the a$$...that's my risk. I will say this....I miss my water patrol...still haven't met the new guy...
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

bubbles wrote:we have actualy been out with not a single one of us drinking
:^o :^o :^o

Jello shots count too Bubs. =))
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

kdfwr911 wrote:

You know what's really sad....I haven't made the first jello shot this year.....and think i've only had maybe 2.....so NOT me! :p :ymsick: But....I have been drinking a lot of monster drinks and making plenty of "amish/friendship bread" for those great water patrol guys! (And since we are behing honest...not only what I just said....but yes I do drink some too...lots of times. But I usually am parked for the duration or wait until I am where I am going....or have a safety nap!!! ;) )
MPII

Post by MPII »

kdfwr911 wrote:

Ok, that's funny! Was down for the Thunder Run and a few but pretty much stayed out of the way of everyone and coved it. There have been a few times I've partaken a little too much so just anchored out with the group a slept on my little open bow....gets real damp into the morning hours but better than launching the boat off of a shoreline or killing someone (or getting a BUI)....

I haven't met any of the new water patrol either. KDF, you won't remember me but I met you in 76 prior to the water going down.

You actually came up beside us, we had our red party cups, and said "don't worry, you guys aren't doing anything to attract my attention so I assume your drinking a nice refreshing glass of ice tea" or something to that effect.

You then boarded a houseboat that was throwing beer cans in the water.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

A houseboat coming in from what I could guess was Harmon the other night right about in time for the State/JRM fireworks sure seemed to be screaming "board me" as they plowed on into the middle of other boats blasting cRap music. I was just hoping for it but, I don't think it happened.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”