The Rumor Mill

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

The Rumor Mill

Post by E_ »

Post any of your Lake Cumberland Rumors here:
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: The Rumor Mill

Post by E_ »

Latest Rumor I have received is what is supposedly happening in the off season:
I have nothing concrete.

locals say,

WATER PATROL gone wild. sowing their OATS

exercising POWER. at all costs.

will KILL tourism eventually.

many think.

Lake people scared to say anything. so as NOT to be targeted on the Lake. ? is the word

_________________________________________________________________________________

( 8 ) licensed guides were arrested. summons issued.

has this been discussed on any of the forums ?

this is NOT good for the sake of tourism, IF true. ? and the lake 's future as I see it.

time will tell.

with 10 of the 13 House boat factories now closed.

over 2,000 workers loosing their jobs in the past 2 to 5 years.

and some marinas with empty slips. filing bankruptcy. we do not need Negative drama on the Cumberland.

all the above is a personal opinion and observation.

Maybe one of our KDFWR officers can confirm or deny this one for us. Any other locals out there have the 411 on this?
(If you are scared to post as yourself send me your info and I can post like I did above or we can create a temporary account for you to post your rumor from and that account will be deleted after it has ran its course.)

The rumor above I am NOT posting on LC.com as they get a LOT more traffic than this site and I don't know if this one woudl be such a good idea there. 1 people would go on attack instead of taking it for what it is and 2 if it is not true some will take it for fact and it could make things worse.
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

Have not heard anything. I'll bet Don knows. I will be down there tomorrow and will ask around.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

I am having a hard time understanding what they are supposedly doing from that message. Care to spell it out for me?

I did hear a story of a fishing guide being ticketed(arrested?) for disposing of a fish carcass into the lake at the cleaning station at Alligator 2 about a month ago. I guess that is illegal in the books. Not sure what else went along with the story. I got it 3rd or 4th hand. I would assume someone complained of the practice long term in order to bring about action like that.

I have not heard of anything else out of the ordinary. There were a few more BUI arrests this year over last, but not a huge number more.

I see where he had that one item listed as "number 8", what are the other 7 examples E?
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

MarineAssist wrote:I am having a hard time understanding what they are supposedly doing from that message. Care to spell it out for me?

I did hear a story of a fishing guide being ticketed(arrested?) for disposing of a fish carcass into the lake at the cleaning station at Alligator 2 about a month ago. I guess that is illegal in the books. Not sure what else went along with the story. I got it 3rd or 4th hand. I would assume someone complained of the practice long term in order to bring about action like that.

I have not heard of anything else out of the ordinary. There were a few more BUI arrests this year over last, but not a huge number more.

I see where he had that one item listed as "number 8", what are the other 7 examples E?
I think that indicates that a total of eight guides were targeted.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Yes, the person stated 8 guides had been arrested. If they nailed someone at AII for that as Marine Assist stated the Guides at Grider are in trouble. If course I always thought it was nasty that Grider let them clean fish and throw fish parts into the lake right there at the dock/restaurant like that. We had to walk past it several times in 2011 and it was not a breakfast favorite to see.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

What is wrong with throwing the fish parts in the lake? I would assume that would be food for the smaller fish and that would be a good thing. I do realize that it may not look appealing, but... Is that really a rule? I don't fish so I must profess my ignorance on the subject.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I just didn't like it where it was a Grider at Alligator II it is WAAAAY down the dock and a non issue. I never knew it was a law. Maybe it is to keep the Zombie Apocolypse from happening? lol
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Well, the Fishing Guide Rumor does not seem to be a "Rumor" any more. Pretty sure per a PM from a trustworthy source this is pretty much a fact. Don't know the exact number of arrest but it appears to be the product of a undercover operation earlier in the year.
Soak-up-the-Sun
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by Soak-up-the-Sun »

What type of covert operation? Were there actually arrests for throwing fish carcasses in the lake?? Surely there would be warnings, citations and fines first....???? or were they arrested for other reasons??
Happy camper and happy boater!!
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

After asking a few questions around, I have found there is more to the story than a few fishing guides being arrested for throwing fish carcass in the water. That just happens to be the item they SAID they were arrested for because it sound rediculous. There were actually multiple charges.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Yep, Rumor has it that an undercover operation was conducted by the KDFWR special investigations unit earlier this year and several Lake Cumberland area striper guides were caught doing illegal things and/or allowing their clients to do illegal things such as catching over their limits and fish without licenses etc.

After the operation was complete, the evidence and information was turned over to local uniformed officers to bring the charges, and they obtained arrest warrants on the offending guides. Not sure what all charges were brought or how many guides were charged, but rumor has it that some were indeed charged with littering for dumping fish guts into the lake at the cleaning stations among other things.
DMS

Post by DMS »

MarineAssist wrote:I am having a hard time understanding what they are supposedly doing from that message. Care to spell it out for me?

I did hear a story of a fishing guide being ticketed(arrested?) for disposing of a fish carcass into the lake at the cleaning station at Alligator 2 about a month ago. I would assume someone complained of the practice long term in order to bring about action like that.

There were a few more BUI arrests this year over last, but not a huge number more.
I heard that also along with someone at/near Grider getting a toung lashing from a land based "offical".Heard a while back that some "guides" were being looked at under the scope, but nothing lately. Fly said some officers in a pickup at Lily ramp got out and looked around couple or 3 weeks ago...never approched any fishermen. While it may not be breakfast etiquette most people dont think alot about it. Turtles and other fish gotta eat too. I had rather see them sunk as throwed upon the bank.
Prob some bigwig treehugging city folk L-) got offended cause Jr. and Jr.ette are repulsed by fresh Alaskian Salmon now cause they saw Nemo get his head chopped off and buried at sea...on Lake Cumberland.
DMS

Post by DMS »

Oh yea should have mention I heard it had more to do with people cleaning their catch before quitting fishing...harder to tell how many and size.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

Found out lots of other more serious charges were filed. That just happened to be one of the lesser ones in with the mix. They were allowing catching over their limits, keeping short fish, and a host of other things not in keeping with law and professional guides. I would say there will end up a few less fishing guides on the lake after it is done. Department personnel actually fished with these guides as clients and witnessed all first hand to build the case. That is where the "covert" come into play.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”