Just a heads up for those going to Little Falls

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Just a heads up for those going to Little Falls

Post by Islander_212 »

We were back there the Monday before last with about six boats tied up. The kids had swam to the falls and had just gotten back to the boats about 200 yards from the falls. Two persons that appeared to be in there late teens or early 20's rode a four wheeler down and after just a few minutes we heard fully automatic weapon fire. At that time they were shooting back up the creek from the top of the falls. That got our attention and none of us were packing our weapons per the law.

Next they climbed down the falls and threw rocks for a bit and then began firing into the rocks of the falls. We then began to pull anchors and move the boats around the corner. About this time we heard a ricochet in our general direction and proceeded to be in more of a hurry. As we were idling out they began to yell at us with some of it unintelligible, but the gist was "where are you all going". As we were rounding the last bit of the bend out of site they began to fire up the lake in our general direction as we could see the bullets skipping about 200' behind the boats. One of our party called 911 and after a long time trying to tell them where we were at, yes we gave them all the names of the falls, even Sid Bells Falls. They were more interested in which marina we came out of. They finally said they would send KDFWR officers out. We sat there for at least four more hours and never saw them come in by water at least. It is likely they would have been gone anyhow.

One of the boats that was back there went back a few days later and found the spent cartridges and discovered it was only a .22, but still they can do some damage.

Now, I think my understanding is correct, the law was changed sometime back to allow firearms into National Parks. We should be allowed to have them at the lake. At least four of us had weapons in our vehicles, but none on the water out of respect for the law. I may choose to start flouting that law if I ever experience this again. I do admit it is the first time I have seen anything like this.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this one. We still had a good time the ten days we were there. It was embarrassing for us having friends there from Florida, Nebraska, Illinois and Missouri. Yes they all brought their boats with them.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Just a heads up for those going to Little Falls

Post by E_ »

Dang, that is VERY dangerous, embarassing as a Kentuckian and a Gun owner, and sad.

22s are one of the the WORST rounds to richoet and though small are easily deadly to humans. In fact some people have taken large game with them...

The fully auto is not what bothers me but the unsafe use of a firearm around others REALLY gets my dander up. Someone SHOULD be able to track those 4 wheelers (even today since we have had no rain). Someone needs to get on this asap. Even if allowed to carry firearms a handgun would not protect you very well from stupid people like this. These kids need an arse whoopin...

This spring on my 210 was my first time back to Little Falls and I hoped to take my family there this year but it seems I might hold off until someone finds out what the heck is going on... Woulda been nice to have had a large caliber fully auto rifle just to "scare them" a little but that would not be worth it as you never know how things can transpire. Having a KDFWR or Sheriff with a helicopter would have been the best case scenario.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

E

I wished we had gotten some photos of the punks, but we were really scrambling to get out of there with the children back there with us. We had some fairly good camera equipment with good lenses and likely could have gotten them ID'd, but like I said, it wasn't really bad until we rounded the corner and none of us wanted to go back. We did give the 911 people really good descriptions of what they were riding and wearing. I also agree with everything you said. These cats were not the sharpest tools in the shed. The best thing that could have happened would have been to take a ricochet to the shin. That may have put and end to that.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Nothin' worse than an unsharp tool with a gun! :ymsigh: :-s
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
DMS

Post by DMS »

Exactly why I pack EVERYWHERE. Rather be caught not needing than be caught empty handed and need really bad!

I HAVE NOT planned on dying for a lack of shooting back.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

I was always a little weary of them there hills in the middle of the night.... :|
That is VERY SCARY Islander 212!!! Thank God they were either just trying to scare you or they were very lousy shots! :-s
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
shocka43
Better Member

Post by shocka43 »

Good call Denmark...there are many times where I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Legal CCW is the best thing for law abiding citizens because of situations like this with non-law abiding citizens.
"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."---Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”