Wow! How to go offroading in Formula

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Wow! How to go offroading in Formula

Post by E_ »

Saw this on Marine Assist's photobucket site! :-o

The file name looks like it is from yesterday. Did this happen this past week? Islander did you cause that? lol

See more here
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/ ... 11219a.jpg
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Re: Wow! How to go offroading in Formula

Post by MarineAssist »

Happened Friday night about 6:30 pm. Right at the mouth of Beaver Creek proper, where it turns off of Otter Creek. 30 year lake veteran just cut the turn too short heading back to Beaver. We recovered it Saturday. Took about all day. Owner was sick about it. Just simply an accident.

Let me say right now that these people are EXTREMELY LUCKY. Had it not been for that rock holding the bow of that boat, I believe that thing would have turned over upside down and probably killed one or more people. It was at a crazy angle. Luckily they were traveling with another boat.

We had to move rocks around on the shoreline, take one towboat on the back side of that peninsula with about 500' of towlinwe up and over the land to the upper side cleat to hold the boat from tipping over while another of my towboats pulled the bow back toward the water and down the hill. This is after I patched a couple large holes in the bottom to keep it from sinking once back in the water. I couldn't get to all the holes due to safety issues and where the boat was sitting on the ground. We still had to keep pumps in it for the tow to Jamestown. The boat is 31' X 11' and weighs about 12,000 pounds. I hauled it out on my trailer and it is at my lot awaiting the insurance company to inspect. We winterized it in the mean time.

Been a busy 2 weeks for us.

We raised a sunk 18' bassboat up in the Big South Fork about 7 miles up from Echo Point that hit a log.
We raised a capsized 17' BassTracker down in Creelsboro in the Cumberland River below the dam.
We were called to the dam where a loaded 20 ton dumptruck was in danger of turning over into the lake with 200 gallons of fuel and oil on board. We were on standby with oil boom just in case.
We went to Rough River Lake and Nick's Boat Dock last Friday to raise a 56' houseboat named Sunny Daze sunk in 21' of water(Formerly from Grider Hill).
Then this boat on black Friday / Saturday

So much for the "off season"
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Wow! Thanks for being there Marine Assist!

If anyone wants a membership you can contact Marine Assist via the PM or e-mail links above or by going to the website. http://cumberlandtowboat.com/
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

Nope, did not cause that one... I was off the water by that time, just barely though. I got back to the ramp just after dark. It was a great day for us and not so much for them except as Don said... they were extremely lucky given what did happen. Did run into Relax Friday morning down in Jabez. Good seeing him.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

OMG! Went a little further looking through pictures and saw this! How does a aluminum boat like that sink?

Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

I saw that one also, that's a Merc 225 about 20' down the best I remember. Sad because I think these guys are the ones that are always looking for donations, maybe they ought to look at their equipment every now and then.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TOTALLY agree Lock! Seems like a total lack of respect for something because it didn't come out of their pocket. Maybe i am missing something and am off base but it sure doesn't seem right.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

OK, so SeaArk (the manufacturer) used 8 rivets to hold the rear seat in place to weld it. They never removed the rivets. The rivet on the rear left side, where the fire pump is located, got eaten up by electrolysis (i assume) and fell out of the hole. Now there is a 3/16" hole at the waterline that allowed the boat to leak a little everytime the water taxi or other boat went by. Eventually, this constant drain on the batteries running the pump caught up with a vengance during an overnight rain storm.

SeaArk warranty has expired a while ago. They refused to do anything about the fading paint on the boat when I called them back in the summer last year, so I can't imagine they will help with this at all. I will not buy anything from them again myself.

As for the donations, they were being asked for to try and repay as much as possible to the fellow that donated the funds to purchase and outfit the boat originally. He put up somewhere in the $40k range for the good of EVERYBODY, if I remember correctly. Now a lot of the equipment needs to be replaced and I am quite sure the Fire Department has a large deductible, so donations are more than needed now just to get back to square again.

Unlimited Marine got the boat and fire pump up and running again, but electronics, radios, lights, gear and other misc stuff will need to be replaced I am sure.

911 will know better what the current situation is. This happened about 3 weeks ago or so.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

So the boat just sits there with no attention? It's not someones job to at least go check on the fireboat? How would you feel if you where the guy that forked over $40K to provide this? Looks like another case of Government at work......
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

I don't see any shore power receptacles on the dock. It would have saved a bunch of $$$ if they could have plugged it up and kept the batteries charged to run the bilge pumps in this situation.

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

Obviously SM has no earthly idea what a "standpipe" is in a marine application because his description complete with images on the other site is the worst explaination of them I could imagine. Good thing MrCraftman has come along to help people out with the meaning.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”