Lake Cumberland area Marine to receive Medal Of Honor

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

DMS

Lake Cumberland area Marine to receive Medal Of Honor

Post by DMS »

from the White House, Washington, DC. Office of the Press Secretary
Forwarded to CM by Russ Walker

On September 15th, President Barack Obama will award Dakota Meyer, a former active duty Marine Corps Corporal, the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. He will receive the Medal of Honor for his courageous actions while serving as a member of Marine Embedded Training Team 2-8, Regional Corps Advisory Command 3-7, in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, on September 8, 2009 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. He will be the third living recipient - and first Marine - to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan. He and his family will join the President at the White House to commemorate his example of selfless service.

Dakota Meyer was born in Columbia, Kentucky on June 26, 1988, attended local public schools, and graduated from Green County high school. In 2006, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps at a recruiting station in Louisville, Kentucky, and completed his basic training at Parris Island Recruit Training Depot later that year.

In 2010, he completed his active duty commitment and currently serves in the Inactive Ready Reserve of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve as a Sergeant. He is a highly skilled Marine infantryman and Scout Sniper who is also trained as a Combat Lifesaver. At the time of his deployment to combat duty in Afghanistan he was serving as a Turret Gunner and Driver.

While on active duty, he deployed twice to the combat theater, serving in both Iraq and Afghanistan. During 2007, he deployed to Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom with Third Battalion, Third Marines, and during 2009-10, he deployed to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom. His military decorations include: a Purple Heart Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with "V" device for valor, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, and Good Conduct Medal. His other awards and decorations include the Combat Action Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one bronze campaign star, Iraq Campaign Medal with one bronze campaign star, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, NATO ISAF Afghanistan Medal, and a Rifle Expert Badge (3rd Award) and Pistol Expert Badge (2nd Award).
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

THE MEDAL OF HONOR:

The Medal of Honor is awarded to members of the Armed Forces who distinguish themselves conspicuously by gallantry above and beyond the call of duty while:
-engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; -engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
The meritorious conduct must involve great personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his or her comrades and must have involved risk of life. There must be incontestable proof of the performance of the meritorious conduct, and each recommendation for the award must be considered on the standard of extraordinary merit.

http://www.columbiamagazine.com/index.php
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Lake Cumberland area Marine to receive Medal Of Honor

Post by E_ »

:ymapplause: **==
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote::ymapplause: **==
x100!
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

OooooH Raaaaah!!!!!!
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

Very nice! :ymapplause:
DMS

Post by DMS »

GREENSBURG, Ky. – When Marine Cpl. Dakota Meyer plunged into Afghanistan's Ganjgal Valley, he was sure he wouldn't come out alive.

"I don't think there was ever a question in my mind if I was going to die," Meyer said. "It was just when."

Inside the narrow valley, Taliban insurgents were dug into the high ground and hidden inside a village, pouring down deadly fire at Afghan forces and their American advisers. Armed militants swarmed the low ground to try to finish off the troops.

Meyer's team was pinned down near the village. He wasn't going to wait and see whether they would get out. Defying orders to stay put, Meyer set himself in the turret of a Humvee and rode straight into the firefight, taking fire from all directions. He went in not once, but five times, trying to rescue his comrades.

During about six hours of chaotic fighting, he killed eight Taliban militants and provided cover for Afghan and U.S. servicemen to escape the ambush, according to a Marine Corps account of the events.

Meyer saved the lives of 13 U.S. troops and 23 Afghan soldiers that day, Sept. 8, 2009.

with video
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/s ... 50288284/1
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Saw it on the Nightly News tonight.

If embedded does not work click link below
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#44432689

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc7d236c" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... ,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=44432689&width=420&height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc7d236c" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=44432689&width=420&height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... /object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>
DMS

Post by DMS »

By Ann Young

WASHINGTON, DC (Tuesday, September 13, 2011) - Tonight at the Library of Congress in Washington DC at the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation Ceremony and Reception, Dakota Meyer announced his $1 million scholarship initiative.

At the ceremony a commissioned painting by Ret. USMC Colonel Charles Waterhouse of Dakota at the battle of Ganjgal was unveiled.

It will be latest of a series of paintings of MOH recipients. More information about the scholarship can be found at DakotaMeyer.com -ANN YOUNG

E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

:ymapplause:
DMS

Post by DMS »

ttt
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

E_
Site Admin

Kentucky Medal Of Honor Recipient Assaulted

Post by E_ »

http://www.lex18.com/news/kentucky-meda ... assaulted/
Kentucky Medal Of Honor Recipient Assaulted
Posted: Dec 12, 2012 3:52 PM

An assault investigation is underway in Adair County and sources tell LEX 18 the victim is a Kentucky Marine who made national headlines for his bravery this year.

Kentucky State Police don't name victims in assault investigations, but LEX 18 has learned medal of honor recipient Dakota Meyer was the person attacked. The Marine and Green County native was treated at a local hospital Sunday and reportedly had to get staples in his head from cuts suffered during the assault.

Sources tell LEX 18 the attack happened during a party with Lindsay Wilson College students that Meyer was attending with his brother. State Police say they have identified a suspect and say charges will be filed and an arrest will happen soon.

Meyer is the first living Marine in almost four decades to be awarded the medal of honor by the president. The 24-year old received his award in September of 2011.

Meyer was asked to make several national appearances after receiving his award, which he did, and was usually accompanied by a security team from the Kentucky State Police, something the agency wasn't required to do, but offered their services anyway. The amount of time security followed him has dwindled as Meyer's life has started to return to normal.

State Police say there was no security with Meyer Sunday when he was assaulted.
DMS

Post by DMS »

Heard about this via CB radio.Hes an Adair Co native, moved to Green Co. I hate Topix but...http://www.topix.com/forum/city/columbi ... U45UC0AJOJ
DMS

Post by DMS »

COLUMBIA — Kentucky State Police charged an 18-year-old Columbia man on Thursday with assaulting Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer.

Officers arrested Kanissa'a Thompson on one count of second-degree assault at about 3:30 p.m. (CST) at a residence on Grady Loop Road in Adair County, according to a news release.

Thompson allegedly assaulted Meyer, 24, during an incident early Sunday, Dec. 9. Meyer received medical treatment after the assault at Westlake Hospital in Columbia.

State police did not release details of what led to the incident.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/13/39 ... rylink=cpy
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I got to meet Mr. Meyer last night. Seemed like a great guy IMO. Very kind and even though I was more than likely annoying him to ask for a photo he did so graciously and with a smile.
E and D.jpg
E and D.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 9535 times
https://www.facebook.com/SgtDakotaMeyer
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Nice! He makes you look good, E! :D ;;) :-*
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

I was going to say he make's E look like a little girl! :p
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

He was definitely taller than I expected. lol
Mary Lou 2
Marina/Ramp: LFM

Post by Mary Lou 2 »

Thanks for sharing E ! Not every day you get to meet someone of his caliber !! You clean up nicely.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Fall Creek wrote:I was going to say he make's E look like a little girl! :p
Good one! :D :D

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”