Abandoned boat near Lilly Creek Ramp

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Abandoned boat near Lilly Creek Ramp

Post by E_ »

Sources say this boat may be gone soon.

(additional non confirmed details)
From what I understand this particular boat was sold one or multiple times over the years since before 2008. The pre 2008 owner however got a letter from the Corps (at least they are working on this stuff) that they were to remove it or they would be fined.

The owner told the corps they did not own the boat and that they even killed the title around that time. (not sure what to believe here)

The Corp did not care as this person was the last person listed to be titled to the boat. (LESSON HERE - don't sell or trade or give away a old boat without making sure the transfer is completed!!)

The lastest info is that the abandoned boat is/was to be removed Tuesday by a group of guys; I am guessing here that they will be trying to upright the boat on the bank, duct tape any holes, float it across to ramp and put on something to haul away. It is my further understanding that the "Owner" must take pics of removal including being pulled up ramp. Even though he killed the title in 08, and has documentation.

There is a rumor that an "official" stated that anytime a boat title is killed all ky #s and vin must be removed to clear liability.
(sounds like just giving someone good info on how to dump a boat and not be caught to me)

It also seems that the Corp is looking for names and phone numbers of person(s) who purchased boat from the previous "owner". If they do not get the boat removed and the corp removes, the unoffical owner could be billed up to $3500 for cost and disposal

Anyone have a pic of it, It sounds like it is a black/yellow boat. I have not been able to get to LC.com this morning as it appears to be down since I was going to put a link to their page that I'm pretty sure mentioned it.
If anyone gets any pics of the removal please share with us...
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Re: Abandoned boat near Lilly Creek Ramp

Post by MarineAssist »

EVERY TIME I get involved in a derelict boat case, the titled owner ALWAYS says they sold it or junked it..... every time. It is just an excuse.

I have preached several times over the years that if you sell a boat, you have to transfer the title to the new owner, period. If not, the last registered owner is THE respopnsible party. In Kentucky, you can transfer title to the new owner even if they are not a resident of this state. I have done this several times. An out of state buyer comes for a boat. I transfer the title to them so that they receive a KY title in their name at the home address in whatever state thay are from. Then they can transfer it to themself in that state if they wish.

People around here think they can strip the boat, dump it in the lake and then go list the title as "junked" and be done with it. If you do not PROPERLY dispose of the hull, not only are you liable for it wherever it ends up, you may also be liable for any penalties to the State for lying about disposing of it properly in an approved landfill.

As for removal.... we'll see. It has been there since the spring.

I am somewhat involved in this one, waiting to see if the owner gets it done or if I have to go do it for the Corps.
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Post by LC addict »

I called Don about the boat a couple of weeks ago, I have pics but will have to download from my phone. Or might just be lazy and text them to E so he can post them ;-)
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

From LC
IMG955989.jpg
IMG955989.jpg (132.25 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
IMG958682.jpg
IMG958682.jpg (132.54 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
DMS

Post by DMS »

Saw two guys trying in vain to flip her over this pm.

MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

It all seems easy in theory over a couple of beers.

I am probably the least expensive alternative and I will make sure it is disposed of.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

A come along would have worked wonders on the flipping... ;-)
DMS

Post by DMS »

MarineAssist wrote:I am probably the least expensive alternative
Not hardly the least expensive but maybe the most polictically correct.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

It is my understanding that...

The registered "Owner" has been released from liability. The people Denmark spotted yesterday were apprently people on the list the "owner" had sent to the Corps.

Hmmm, the plot thickens

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”