Let's all try to help create a safer route for the poker run

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Nearly

Let's all try to help create a safer route for the poker run

Post by Nearly »

We need to respect these drivers and help promote their safety. All they need is is an afternoon from us and in turn we get to see some magnificent machines running down the lake.

As a two time participant, there are three things that come to mind that IMO that could have been avoided by the spectators.

Stay put while the boats are running by. We have all seen the idiot running down the course tring to get a better cheung spot or maybe they think it's cool to watch these guys jump their wakes. I don't care if you are a runabout or a 50 foot cruiser plowing down the lake, these boats have enough to contend with each other, let alone additional rollers, or in many cases another obstacle created by trying to maneuver around a slower boat. Get out early, get your spot and keep your a$$ still, or at least at no wake speed, and out of the course.

Houseboats may think it's cool to cruise down the center and watch these guys go by. Not only do these create a major obstruction but a large blind spot blocking the field ahead.

Try to keep away from the inside corners of some those sharp bends. Several of these create a blind spot and the poker run boats don't see you till the last minute.

I'm sure several of you can think of other ways that we as spectators can help create a safer run for these guys, Again, we are getting quite a free show at quite the expense of others. Let's respect these machines and their passengers.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Let's all try to help create a safer route for the poker

Post by E_ »

Great post nearly! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

I agree, I see all the you mentioned all too much in front of Shinbone. I think this year instead of being up near the skull I am going to get anchored between it and Fall Creek to see them in the middle of that straight stretch... By the skull they are slowing some to make the turn to Conley. That plus that spot gets full of dumbchits that don't know how to anchor. (kinda like MPIIs post on LC.com.)
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nearly

Re: Let's all try to help create a safer route for the poker

Post by Nearly »

E, since I only have my droid, you can copy and paste this over there if you want.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”