Hypothermia

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Hypothermia

Post by E_ »

Ok gang, the water temps according to Rick at Grider are right at 71 degrees and hopefully rising today. I looked up the hypothermia chart because of interest with Avery. From what I can tell shivering is not yet a sign of hypothermia or any harm but it is a sign that you are at the stage next to hypothermia.
no truces.JPG
no truces.JPG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 9301 times

Here is some info I copied and pasted. It looks like for 70 degree water we are all ok for a couple of hours which I don't really see any of us staying in the water that long unless we were tossed out of our boat with no one around.

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/cont ... w_state=KY
Cold Water Immersion and Hypothermia

Even when the weather is warm, do not forget that in many areas the water can be very, very cold. A sudden unexpected wake or other "unbalancing event" can land you in the frigid water.

Your body can cool down 25 times faster in cold water than in cold air.

What happens when you fall into cold water?

The effects of cold water on the body happen in four stages.

Stage 1 - Cold shock

A sudden, unexpected entry into cold water may cause a reflexive "gasp" (cold shock) allowing water to enter the lungs. Drowning can be almost instantaneous. When you realize you’re about to fall into the water, cover your face with your hands. Covering your mouth is an attempt to avoid gulping water into your lungs.

Stage 2 - Swimming failure effects include:
Loss of manual dexterity
Inability to match breathing rate to swimming stroke
Loss of coordination in the muscles in your arms and legs as they get cooler, increasing your swimming angle
Increased swimming angle, requiring more energy to keep your head above water
Possible drowning

Stage 3 - Hypothermia

Hypothermia is a condition that exists when the body’s temperature drops below ninety-five degrees. This can be caused by exposure to water or air. The loss of body heat results in loss of dexterity, loss of consciousness, and eventually loss of life.

If you examine the chart below you will see that survival time can be as short as 15 minutes. Water temperature, body size, amount of body fat, and movement in the water all play a part in cold-water survival. Small people cool faster than large people and children cool faster than adults.

PFDs can help you stay alive longer in cold water. You can float without using energy and PFDs cover part of your body, providing some protection from the cold water. When boating in cold water, you should consider using a flotation coat or deck-suit style PFD. They cover more of your body and provide even more protection.

Hypothermia does not only occur in extremely cold water. It can, and does, occur even in the warmer waters of Florida and the Bahamas.

Hypothermia Chart

If the Water
Temp. (F) is:

Exhaustion or
Unconsciousness

Expected Time
of Survival is:

Under 15 min.

Under 15 - 45 min.

32.5 - 40

15 - 30 min.

30 - 90 min

40 - 50

30 - 60 min.

1 - 3 hours

50 - 60

1 - 2 hours

1 - 6 hours

60 - 70

2 - 7 hours

2 - 40 hours

70 - 80

3 - 12 hours

3 - Indefinite

Over 80

Indefinite

Indefinite

Here it is in jpeg format
skcus-kauqs.JPG
skcus-kauqs.JPG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 9301 times

Hypothermia is progressive - the body passes through several stages before an individual lapses into an unconscious state. The extent of a person’s hypothermia can be determined from the following:
1.Mild Hypothermia - the person feels cold, has violent shivering and slurred speech.
2.Medium Hypothermia - the person has a certain loss of muscle control, drowsiness, incoherence, stupor and exhaustion.
3. Severe Hypothermia - the person collapses, may be unconscious and shows signs of respiratory distress and/or cardiac arrest probably leading to death.

The foremost objective for a person in the water is getting control over breathing and getting out of the water. To accomplish this and to limit heat loss, limit body movement. Don't swim unless you can reach a nearby boat or floating object. Swimming lowers your body temperature and even good swimmers can drown in cold water.

If you can pull yourself partially out of the water - do so. The more of your body that is out of the water (on top of an over-turned boat or anything that floats), the less heat you will lose. Especially keep your head out of the water if at all possible - this will lessen heat loss and increase survival time.

Wearing a PFD in the water is a key to survival. A PFD allows you to float with a minimum of energy expended and allows you to assume the heat escape lessening position -
H. E. L. P.

This position, commonly referred to as the fetal position, permits you to float effortlessly and protect those areas most susceptible to heat loss, including the armpits, sides of the chest, groin, and the back of the knees. If you find yourself in the water with others, you should huddle as a group to help lessen heat loss.

Hypothermia requires medical treatment. If medical treatment is not immediately available, treatment can be accomplished by gradually raising the body temperature back to normal. Re-establishing body temperature can be as simple as sharing a sleeping bag or blanket with another individual, or applying warm moist towels to the individual’s neck, sides of chest and groin. Remove wet clothes as they inhibit heat retention. A warm bath could be used for mild to medium hypothermia, gradually increasing the temperature. Keep arms and legs out of the water and do not attempt to raise the body temperature too quickly.

Do not massage the victim’s arms and legs. Massage will cause the circulatory system to take cold blood from the surface into the body’s core, resulting in further temperature drop. Do not give alcohol, which causes loss of body heat, or coffee and tea which are stimulants (and cause vasodilation) and may have the same effect as massage.

Stage 4 - Post-rescue collapse

The effects on your body after you are pulled from the water can include the following:
Loss of hydrostatic pressure from the water causes a sudden drop in blood pressure. This can cause heart or brain failure.
Your heart is cold and cannot pump cold blood effectively to maintain blood pressure.
Your lungs are damaged from the water you inhaled. This can cause a pneumonia-like illness.
Fatal bleeding from injuries may occur as your body warms up and your blood flows more freely. You may have internal injuries or injuries to your head and neck that you and your rescuers are not aware of.
Up to 20 percent of all survivors die during rescue or shortly after.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Re: Hypothermia

Post by FasterThanYou »

:D
Attachments
hypothermia.gif
hypothermia.gif (13.78 KiB) Viewed 9298 times

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Now with an infant I am seeing suggested water temps of 84 and 85 degrees. :-\

Ok, parents what is your experience with babies and differing water temps? I was thinking she would be ok for a few minutes at a time at 70 degrees but now I just wonder.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

I think short dips throughout the day should be just fine.... she will be on the very surface and will absolutely let you know if she is uncomfortable ;) Just get her little seat and park her on the swim platform for intervals so she can see mom and pops or get a float that you can set her entirely on to give her breaks. Plus, more shallow coves will probably be a little warmer as well. You will make good choices I'm sure B-)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I did get a tiny baby pool to put in the floor of the boat for her to play in as well. And I have a float for her that she can sit in in the water for a little more control than just the life jacket alone.

Her lil pool water the other day was tap water cold and HAD to be colder than 70 degrees. At first she shreeked at it and then wanted back in it got to the point where we just had to take her out every now and then to be safe but that she still wanted to be in the pool. lol

...and ya know what. I don't miss the big pool at all.. I'm glad we filled it in with sand and concrete...
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

Keep snacks and water handy
Attachments
P6040005 (Medium).JPG
P6040005 (Medium).JPG (107.23 KiB) Viewed 9291 times

FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

Kids have a blast on the water
Attachments
P9240139 (Medium).JPG
P9240139 (Medium).JPG (158.31 KiB) Viewed 9291 times

FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

Sometimes they need a nap in the shade
Attachments
P6040044 (Medium).JPG
P6040044 (Medium).JPG (119.44 KiB) Viewed 9291 times

FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

They keep growing - this was 2 years ago
Attachments
100_0349 (Medium).JPG
100_0349 (Medium).JPG (123.71 KiB) Viewed 9290 times

E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, look how dark they are!

Ok, I get it about kids that age. But what about when yours were iddy bitty?
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

FasterThanYou wrote:They keep growing - this was 2 years ago

LOL, Faster that is a great picture! How cute!
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

E_HILLMAN wrote:lol, look how dark they are!

Ok, I get it about kids that age. But what about when yours were iddy bitty?
Our daughter started boating at 1 year of age, our son at 9 months. Just dip 'em in the water while sitting on the swim platform and watch their reaction. Just let them play for a few minutes then dry them off. When the water gets warmer they can stay in a bunch. Our daughter started swimming around the boat by herself at 2 with Daddy right next to her at all times. Now they're both on a swim team and could probably swim from CBR to Burnside. :D They'd probaly try if I'd let them. :D

FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

katie wrote:
FasterThanYou wrote:They keep growing - this was 2 years ago

LOL, Faster that is a great picture! How cute!
Thanks Barb, I was horrible about bringing the camera last year and I missed some great pics of the kids. I won't let that happen again.

re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Pay attention, slower! While I too think the pic is cute, katie said it first! Sheesh! Are you catchin' Jefferinaitis? :-s :-o :D
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

re3too wrote:Pay attention, slower! While I too think the pic is cute, katie said it first! Sheesh! Are you catchin' Jefferinaitis? :-s :-o :D
Too funny. I'm on my phone so it's hard for this old man to see the words. So, kiss my butt Barb and THANK YOU Katie!!! =)) =)) =))

Now with all the friggin 6 laptops/iPad/Dell mini/Dell duo in this house I'd actually boot one up in lieu if posting on my phone.
:D

katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

re3too wrote:Pay attention, slower! While I too think the pic is cute, katie said it first! Sheesh! Are you catchin' Jefferinaitis? :-s :-o :D

LOL, that's ok re3too! I am not offended in the least! :D
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

ttt

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”