Baby Boating Info

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Baby Boating Info

Post by E_ »

Ok guys, Recreational boating season is fast approaching. I would like to hear from Lock5 and some of the other Lake Parents that have had infants on the lake of their experiences. What to do, what not to do, what to REALLY watch out for. Etc.

Some things to start us off:
1) Soiled Diaper Disposal and storage until disposal
2) Best baby flotation (I bought a swim suit with the built in flotation)
3)Temperatures
a) Water temps that are acceptable and time in water
b) Outside air temps that are acceptable and time duration. (any tips on keeping cooler other than water)
4) Things to bring
a) toys
b) Emergency items that are not in a normal first aid kit
c) Type of sunscreen and how to not irritate baby eyes.
d) other
5) Securing Baby on the boat. (did you just hold yours or did you have a special seat)

And all the many other things I am not thinking of and other random helpful stuff. I know some have had babys on houseboats but I am more intereted in tips for Toon, Runabout, Cuddy Cabin or Small Cruiser type boating tips since a houseboat would be a little easier I would think. I did get the cuddy as foresight that we might have a lil one one day and that it wold be a good spot to retreat from the sun. I was thinking of one of those cooler fans that mounts over a cooler to chill the air. Or does anyone know of a inexpensive hatch air system? Know anyone selling a good one for a good price?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Re: Baby Boating Info

Post by FasterThanYou »

Just wrap up the diaper in a trash bag and tie it up TIGHT!!!

We used the aquaforce suits for the kids when they were smaller. Our daughter started boating at 1 year old and our son at 9 months. http://www.mypoolpal.com/products/aqua-force.php

Kids don't mind the colder temps nearly as much as us. Just dip her in and see how she reacts (as long as it 70+ degrees)

Keeping her cool - use the d@mn bimini top :D The kids liked to sleep in the shade underneath the helm. Remove the key from the ignition, kids like to play with the key.

Bring toys, lots of toys and snacks.

I've seen plenty of people secure a life jacket to a kid's car seat and strap 'em in - NOOOOO!!! hold your child. This is your child. They tend to fall asleep when the boat is running and they'll like being cuddle up with you.

Coppertone kids, get it on early - before you even get near outside. Use this for her face
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 6345 times

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Good tips for E, Slower! Now how about Avery? :D :D :D
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

I guess we're the only ones with kids around here :D :D :D :D

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Now that I can sign in again I'll give you my take on it. Grease her up good with the Coppertone Kids stuff, get a good life jacket with the head support(for when she is in the water), get a looser fitting one with the leg straps for just riding. Macie didn't like the one with the head support when she was riding. As far as age for getting in the water, LC Addict had macie swimming in Cumberland when she was 6 moths old, I had her in a pool last weekend in Cincy, she loves the water and that's a good thing.............

Her first boat ride was at 9 weeks old, on Herrington.
DMS

Post by DMS »

NO breast feeding during Poker Run nor at Harmons...somebody will end up with a bit nipple.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Well, the heat was not as big of an issue but the Cuddy Cabin I think helped a lot with that and too much sun. Also I bought a little baby pool and I think that REALLY helped when we were not out in the water with her. We never used the built in swim suit floatation but instead I did some research and found a life jacket for babies that has worked great. And those of you that told me to put it on her some before we ever went to the lake were right. I got her used to it at home and then on the water it was not as big of a deal. We definietely kept the baby type sunscreen slathered on her and a sippy cup of COLD water handy.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.boaterkids.com/baby-boat-gea ... your-boat/
31 March 2016Diane SeltzerPost navigation

BABY BOAT GEAR

A round-up of the must-have baby boat gear and essential baby products when bringing a baby or infant on the boat... and why you need them
As parents we know very well that babies need a lot of stuff. Sleeping gear, eating gear, playing gear and safety gear. Babies have a LOT of stuff!

On a boat, your baby's gear may be slightly different. Some of it may downsized for your boat. Some of it may be boat-specific gear you don't normally use at home. I've had boat kids (and babies) for the last 8 years and learned a bit about what types of products that work best on a boat.

So here's my round-up of the top 10 baby boating products you will want to bring on board your boat for baby.

#1 Infant Life Jacket
An infant life jacket is a must on a boat or by the water. It should have a heads up flotation pad and a crotch strap. Most importantly, it should be the appropriate size for your child so that it fits properly and has the right buoyancy for your baby's weight. Most likely you'll want to pick one that says "Infant Less than 30 lbs". I also prefer the style that looks more like a "V" shape so that it is less boxy for a baby that you are likely holding while wearing the vest.

OUR PICKS FOR BABY LIFE JACKETS:
Stohlquist Infant Life Vest 8-30 lbs

infant life vest

O'Neil Nylon Infant Life Vest (under 30 lbs)

Stearns Infant Hydroprene Vest

Salus Bijoux Baby Vest (8-25 lbs)

baby life vest

(#2 - #4) Sleeping Gear
How your baby sleeps on your boat will be dependent on 2 things:

how big (or old) they are
how much space you have inside the boat
Because of these variables, it's hard to select just one product, but there are 3 products that stand out to me as must-have sleeping products for your boat baby.

baby co-sleeper#2 Co-sleeper
If you are tight on space, a newborn baby can snuggle up next to your bed or sleep safely in an aft bed in a co-sleeper. These co-sleepers are great for the first few months and take up very little space on your boat.

baby bed on boat#3 Rocker
If you have a little more floor space I absolutely loved my rocker. These can be used until your baby can sit up and as a bonus the slight incline is really good for a baby with colic. Not only are they a nice place for baby to sleep, but they are also a really good safe place to have baby rest when you need some hands free time.

pack-n-play boat#4 Pack-n-Play
As baby gets a bit bigger a co-sleeper or rocker just won't be big enough for safe. Unfortunately a space-hogging pack-n-play is the best way to go. It will cramp your style. Space will be tight. But your baby will have a safe place to sleep and play.

We used our pack-n-play up until 2 years old when we felt it was safe enough for our girls to sleep in the aft bed. We managed to find space for our pack-n-play on a 30 foot boat and then again on a 41 foot boat with our second child (which was actually more challenging - believe it or not!) My advice - try to select one that is as compact as possible.

Read more on Boater Kids about baby bed options on a boat (with suggested gear)

OUR PICKS for SLEEPERS:
The First Years Close and Secure Sleeper

Brica Fold-n-Go Bassinet

fold n go bassinet

Fisher Price Newborn Rock-n-Play Sleeper

Kidco Peapod w UV Protection

kidco peapod

Graco Travel Lite Crib (20% smaller)

graco portable pack n play

baby booster boat
#5 Booster Seat
A full size highchair is obviously not practical on a boat, so booster seats with trays are a great way to feed babies on a boat.

Although it is difficult to strap the booster seat onto a seat (like it is intended to be used), you can still make use of a booster on a boat. We placed our booster in the corner of the bench seat where it is deeper and we often angled our table toward the booster tray to prevent it from sliding forward.

Placing a towel under the booster was also handy to clean up the inevitable mess (oh the many, many Cheerios!) and also protect the seat from any possible chair marks.

OUR PICKS FOR BOOSTER SEATS:
Summer Infant Deluxe Booster Seat

Baby Delight Go with Me Chair

baby portable chair

Summer Infant Pop and Sit Booster

infant booster

Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat

BONUS GEAR
Another option made specifically for boat babies is the SearocK - its not quite a booster seat & not quite a sleeper.... baby boat gear in a category of its own!

This marine-grade baby seat - is designed for babies 6-36 months. The SearocK baby seat is crafted to hang under any sturdy boat top (yes, this includes the ribs of a bimini) using a 4-point harness that attaches above the seat and an additional stabilizer below the seat. Your baby will take to the natural rocking motion of the seas, and can nap in a safe environment protected from sun.

#6 Sun Hats
baby with sun hat on boatBabies need their tender little peach fuzz heads protected from the sun. Sun hats protect them from the sun and shield their eyes a bit from the sun.

We always have sun hats on the boat, in the diaper bag, in the car, in the stroller - anywhere we can stash a few extras so there is always one handy.

I like soft cotton sun hats with a bit of a brim. For breezy days a Velcro chin strap can come in handy too.

OUR PICKS FOR SUN HATS:
iPlay Classic Flap Sun Protection Hat (in many colors)

Flappy Happy UPF 50+ Floppy Hat (in many colors)

Zutano Primary Stripe Sun Hat (blue or pink)

#7 Baby Swim Float
baby swim floatWhether you are swimming with your baby while anchored out or at the marina pool, a swim float is a great water toy to have on board. To be extra safe, I use an infant life vest as well as the float when anchored out (and always have a hand on the float).

Swim floats give baby a chance to play in the water without being held the entire time (also a nice break from your arms). The biggest bonus is that you have a built-in sunshade to protect your baby from the sun while in the water. I also like spring floats because they don't require a lot of inflating.

OUR PICKS FOR BABY SWIM FLOATS:
Swimways Baby Spring Float Activity Center

Swimways Baby Spring Float - Mommy and Me

Swim School Fish Sun Shade Baby Float (also in pink)

#8 Baby Sunglasses
baby-sunglasses boatYour styling baby needs shades on the boat - to look cool and protect their eyes!

Baby sunglasses should be very flexible and non-breakable. A comfortable strap is also preferable so sunglasses actually stay on for longer than 30 seconds. I like to use sunglasses around the water to protect eyes when the sun is particularly strong shining off the water.

OUR PICKS FOR BABY SUNGLASSES:
Baby Banz Adventure Sunglasses (in many colors)

Tuga Baby UV 400 Sunglasses w/Two Adjustable Straps (in many colors)

Baby Banz Retro Oval Sunglasses (in several colors)

#9 Baby Sunscreen
baby on boatA good supply of sunscreen for baby's delicate skin is essential on board your boat. Make sure you are buying a high SPF (50 is usually our pick) and something labeled for baby (which is best for baby's sensitive skin). Look for "fragrance free"or "all natural". A face stick is also handy for keep touch-ups on the face throughout the day (and is usually easier to apply on a face).

Note: It is recommended that babies under 6 months old not use sunscreen - so it is particularly important to keep them protected from the sun as much as possible.

OUR PICKS FOR BABY SUNSCREEN:
Aveeno Baby Sunscreen

Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen

Aveeno Baby Sun Stick (3 pack)

#10 Boat TOYS!
baby boat toysIt probably goes without saying that babies need toys! For the boat, we like nautical inspired toys like sea creatures or play boats.

We also try to stick with softer toys or toys that will not harm the boat if baby decides to pound them onto the seats in the cockpit.

Our babies loved their soft crab that made bubble noises when you squeezed it's claw, and they spent countless hours playing with their little yellow duck family set on the boat (this was a favorite for both kids).

OUR PICKS FOR BABY BOAT TOYS:
Baby Boat Toys

Sea Creature Toys

Rubber Duck Family

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”