That dang world record attempt raftup at Lake Cumberland2010

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

WhiteNights

That dang world record attempt raftup at Lake Cumberland2010

Post by WhiteNights »

bubbles wrote:Here is my take on the whole OSS and raft up thing......
first off, it is my understanding that there will not be a spot for people to watch the race from the water, on a boat. So, what's the point in even going up there if that is the case? Just wondering...and I may be totally wrong?!
next, i will prolly go wherever the raft up is going to be, but it does make sense to have it closer to where the majority of boaters are and closer to state dock (being that bill is putting a party barge and whatever out there)?! or at least close to harmon since that is a well known spot and easy place to find.
just sayin'........... :ymparty: 8-}
Both are poor choices IMHO, but then again they never asked me :p

How many houseboats will make the trip to the raft up? How many cruisers? I know there are plenty of runabouts that will go anywhere but the name of the game is quantity. I just have to believe it would be a much bigger success if held nearer State/Jamestown as they seem to be the 'hub' of the action on the lake.
FireEscape

Re: Lake Cumberland Grand Prix 2010

Post by FireEscape »

Nobody will be there now since there charging 20 dollars for the raft up. Thats funking crazy!

:-w
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

FireEscape wrote:Nobody will be there now since there charging 20 dollars for the raft up. Thats funking crazy!

:-w

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Aquapalooza was free last year, so this $20 bucks has to be just for the raft-up. How stupid is that. L-)
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

So along with a poor location they want to add a fee to an already enormus fuel bill for many??

2 wrongs don't make a right.

The band at GHD is sounding better that night for sure.
FireEscape

Post by FireEscape »

There is no way in HELL I would give 20 bucks to any one to raft up. I don't mean to be the downer but I didn't have a lot of faith in this thing in the first place, now I have lost all of it.

That's $30,000 for 1500 boats I want to have a little of what they're smokin'. =;
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Is it even legal?
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

I bet that move will cost them hundreds of boats, if not more.
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

$20.00 to raft up.....that's the most stupid thing i've heard in a long time. :ymsick:
Dolphin
Marina/Ramp: lake Cumberland

Post by Dolphin »

bubbles wrote:$20.00 to raft up.....that's the most stupid thing i've heard in a long time. :ymsick:
Stupidist ??? =)) =)) =))
weedbeater17
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Cabin that overlooks Lee's Ford

Post by weedbeater17 »

So who's pocket is the 20.00 dollars going in. I too was thinking about wondering down to the event till I read that b$llchit on the Raft-up website. I would venture to say that if we had a free raft-up right next to the pay to be counted one, any bets on which group would be bigger. What a crock!! :-o :-o 8-}
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

weedbeater17 wrote:I would venture to say that if we had a free raft-up right next to the pay to be counted one, any bets on which group would be bigger.

lol, that is the same thing I said when I replied to KR on LC.com... lol Someone has to do that...
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

How can they charge anything? It is not thier lake to rope off. As a matter of fact, you could take a bass boat as the rules say that fisherman have the right to fish any part of the lake unrestricted. Somebody needs to ask an attorney and see if this is allowed. Hey E, I know who you can ask!
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

They have a ton of sponsors for this raft up why would they need to charge a fee? I still question the legality of it. I know at Woodson Bend we cannot charge a fee for the boat launch, the Corps won't allow it.

What could be done if KR get's there early and everyone else ties up to them. It would be in the same vicinity and you could see all the bands too. :D

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

In order to be counted as part of the raft up you have to register, and pay. You could tie up without registering or paying but your boat would not go on record as part of it. At least this is how I read it. I would not mind paying a fee, but $20 sounds like a bit much for this, not to mention the location.

They made a post about how much this event costs to put on, and how much work it is too. Do you think that perhaps they would have done some research and considered doing it closer to the largest boater population on the lake?? This is after all what they need to break the record. Just being geographically in the middle of the lake is not where the majority of the boaters are.

I talked to a few at GHD this weekend and did not get many that said they plan on doing it.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

How much do you think it would cost to, put some stuff on facebook and the forums, then have the raftup and pass around a sign up sheet keeping track of it via a seadoo or something riding along the back of the tied up boats an hour tops), collect the sheet while people are watching to make sure no one left or untied, (I am sure there are plenty of Notaries on the lake just make sure you have a few to comfirm what happened), Have someone from the cliff top take a pic of the raftup with a time stamp. (for that matter a video of the entire process).

DONE!

If it is all on video they can confirm it no problem without anyone else to confirm it...

IMO - This is a ploy by someone to walk off with some cash.

And THAT is what bothers me...
WhiteNights

Re: That dang world record attempt raftup at Lake Cumberland2010

Post by WhiteNights »

I predict the attendance at the world record raft up attempt will suffer the same as the OSS race if it is held in the current location. JMHO :-s
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I finally figured it out. Ur just jealous of the east end and think you can chastise things back to the west... lol
:p
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

WhiteNights wrote:I predict the attendance at the world record raft up attempt will suffer the same as the OSS race if it is held in the current location. JMHO :-s
Agree 100%.
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I finally figured it out. Ur just jealous of the east end and think you can chastise things back to the west... lol
:p
I would have to say there is some truth to that :p , as I would really like to go, $20 or not. But I am not going to spend that much on fuel.

Again, middle of the lake is not the middle of the boater population.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

I'm with Whiteknights on this one, if they really want to break the d@mn record, let Bill Jasper cordinate it, and let it happen on the main lake just outside of State and Jamestown. The $20 is a distraction, and Bill would get the $30K from a sponsor. The marina association is smokin crack if they think they can pull this off, the way it is going now.
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

Their website still gives no new information, or even the location. Perhaps they are rethinking a few things now??
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

So a month has gone by and still not much on their website. If I was a sponsor paying those big $$$ I would expect my name to be displayed all over by now.

A little over a month before the "big" event and no one even talking about it. If this is the same association that was involved with the offshore races then one has to wonder if they will likely get the same results?

Jasper should keep the Rockaplooza and party barge at the mouth of Beaver Creek like last year, probably get better turn out there anyways ;) But JMHO
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

anyone got a link to the web site? I'm behind the curve on this.
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

imaposer wrote:anyone got a link to the web site? I'm behind the curve on this.

www.lakecumberlandraftup.com
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

May 26th was the last update? Did they just post this on forums to gauge the interest?

imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

WhiteNights wrote:
imaposer wrote:anyone got a link to the web site? I'm behind the curve on this.

http://www.lakecumberlandraftup.com

Dang. I was hoping it would be down towards state dock further. I'll just have to stay up in south fork that weekend.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

The only way this has a chance is if Jasper takes it over..................
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

It will not work at all this late. They should have had this plastered all over the place. It is one month away and hardly anybody is showing interest. location and $20 to tie up ain't gonna get it done. If they were to supply t-shirts and a arial view picture to all who paid, then maybe that would raise some interest. Just to say you were part of it would be cool. But again it seems very unorganized. Image
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

Hope that radio broadcast reaches the real 'middle' of the lake :D
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

I think I did read on the website that you do get a T-shirt but didn't see anything about an arial photo.
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

Why does the word "ClusterFook" come to mind?? In my best Irish accent :ymsick:
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

They are trying to guess how many boats will raftup on that other site, beings how I am a thug that can't post over there, would someone guess about 150 on my behalf. Thanks from the gutters of society. =))
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Lock5 wrote:They are trying to guess how many boats will raftup on that other site, beings how I am a thug that can't post over there, would someone guess about 150 on my behalf. Thanks from the gutters of society. =))
Sorry, but I ain't gonna stain my sterling reputation! :D :D ;;) Maybe that doofus Jeffeerina can do it! =)) =)) =))
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I bet if Lock cooled his firey jets he would eventually be postin over there again.. :p

You just gotta remember its their sandbox so you have to play by their rules when you are there. ;) They just don't get your humor through the screen and need to finally meet you. :(

Until then enjoy yourself here. B-)
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

Lock5 wrote:They are trying to guess how many boats will raftup on that other site, beings how I am a thug that can't post over there, would someone guess about 150 on my behalf. Thanks from the gutters of society. =))

=)) =)) =)) I'm going with 151.

Oh and E..Have you ever thought that those of us who have been thrown out don't care to post there anymore, and actually got ourselves banned on purpose? Think about it. :-? :D
And don't forget your chapstick. =))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I don't care what you do or want to do as long as it does not affect me... ;)
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I don't care what you do or want to do as long as it does not affect me... ;)
Then stop worrying about those of us who got zapped, getting back on over there. ;) You have made several comments like "if you do this or that, they might let you back".... I'm just sayin'. Affect you? WTF

Ain't nobody "letting" me back. If I want back on, I'll do it myself, dig? :ymdevil:
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

For one that was to Lock and maybe he does, I don't know if you speak for him. Thats fine, if you don't want back then why do you critize? As i have said before this is not the place for it. And you know what you can do with that tube of chapstick. /:)
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

You boys quit bickering or I will get Toon on your butts! =))
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

I don't bicker, just call it like I see it. Maybe I need to visit the eye doctor. =))
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

___, it's that optical nerve from your arsshole to your eyeballs, it's failed, and that's why you are having a shitty outlook. :ymapplause:
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

Lock5 wrote:___, it's that optical nerve from your arsshole to your eyeballs, it's failed, and that's why you are having a shitty outlook. :ymapplause:
Well I suppose that's possible. I'll have to ask my wife who is a nurse. =)) But IMO I see clearly. It's just a shame others don't. For instance, if I was a mod of a forum =)) (I know), and I had a handful of members of said forum tell me I needed to check myself because I was coming off as a stronghand,,,,I'd take a look in the mirror and adjust accordingly. That's JMO
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

WHEW! I thought you were talking bout this forum. Now all is good! :ymapplause:
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

You know better :)
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

This was copied from Charley01 on LC.com and shows that the largest concentration of boaters are indeed the furthest away. Just great planning.

>>Using Captain's Bob's Lake Distances map the approximate (and I do mean approximate) distances from the 9 participating marinas to the Raft Up location is:
GHM 32, BCM 30, SD/JDM 20, CSM 21, Ali II 24, CBM 2, LFM 11, BRM 12.<<<

I wonder how big the caravan will be from GHM???? :)) :))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

ahh shut up and enjoy the ride... :p
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

Just tie them all together in one big line, rotate the leader and tow the rest. See, if you would have stayed put it wouldn't be as far ;)
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

Lot's of flyers for this laying around Conley this weekend. The waitresses at The Harbor were all wearing the raft-up t-shirts but didn't hear much buzz about it in the Conley campgrounds. Who knows if they will get 150 or 1,500?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

<----------- was really missing Conley this weekend.
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

E_HILLMAN wrote:ahh shut up and enjoy the ride... :p
Anyone that pays the 20 bucks is being taken on a ride :)) :)) :))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

:ymapplause:
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

I hope I'm proven wrong but I don't think this thing is gonna happen. State is going to spend a lot of money taking the party barges down and hiring Caught Red Handed to play and I'm with Dean. They could have stayed right around the corner and had their own crowd.

I know the East End hates to see this dead horse being beaten but the West End is where things like this "happen". More boater population, more room, more participation. It's just logistics, nothing right or wrong, just logistics.

Has anyone seen any sites indicating the total sign ups yet? This is getting close.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

YEah but for you old guys the east end has more places to shop and more places to get you taken care of when you have a heart attack or break your hip.. =))
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

So where are all the big paying sponsors for this event of the century?? Less than a month and not much being said except by us naysayers.

E, Old people rule :-*
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

E_HILLMAN wrote:YEah but for you old guys the east end has more places to shop and more places to get you taken care of when you have a heart attack or break your hip.. =))
SHOPPING? :-o These days I do good to just afford to come to the lake...sure aint no shopping going on. As far as getting inured or seriously ill.....that's what the Air Evac membership is for! :D
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

Nearly wrote:I hope I'm proven wrong but I don't think this thing is gonna happen. State is going to spend a lot of money taking the party barges down and hiring Caught Red Handed to play and I'm with Dean. They could have stayed right around the corner and had their own crowd.

I know the East End hates to see this dead horse being beaten but the West End is where things like this "happen". More boater population, more room, more participation. It's just logistics, nothing right or wrong, just logistics.

Has anyone seen any sites indicating the total sign ups yet? This is getting close.
I have said it before and will say it again....DAN always speaks the correct words! And he does it without an argument. This is one guy that knows what he's talking about and tell the truth straight up....like it or not.....this is the truth! :ymhug:
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:YEah but for you old guys the east end has more places to shop and more places to get you taken care of when you have a heart attack or break your hip.. =))
Dude to be as young as you are, you are the oldest person I know. =))
Last edited by Pac22 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

WhiteNights wrote:So where are all the big paying sponsors for this event of the century?? Less than a month and not much being said except by us naysayers.

:ymapplause: :ymapplause:
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

Nearly wrote:I hope I'm proven wrong but I don't think this thing is gonna happen. State is going to spend a lot of money taking the party barges down and hiring Caught Red Handed to play and I'm with Dean. They could have stayed right around the corner and had their own crowd.

I have to agree with you. We are on the East end but it's only because that's where Woodson Bend is located. :D

Nearly

Post by Nearly »

Thanks Bubbles.

As for shopping, I don't come to the lake to shop.

As for getting injured, we have Bubbles on our end to take care of us. Heck, ___ even gets an IV every now and then.

Heart Attack? E, you better look at that picture of you through the windshield in the rain. There's an accident waiting to happen :p

I try to tell it like I see it, as diplomatically as possible. One night at Conley, Fred offered to give me a badge and one bullet. ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, I was at Waitsboro so I was fine if I had an accident. There were paramedics and medical evac everywhere. :p

Plus that was on a anchored boat with no lightning. ;)
WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

2 bands?? :-\

Has there even been a post from an offical of the event? Is there really a person in charge? Who would be able to give a tally of how many have prepaid?
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

I'll probley go, having said that I bet they don't have 150 boats signed up yet............
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

This could possibly turn out to be a record breaking failure. They can document that. =))
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

E_HILLMAN wrote:lol, I was at Waitsboro so I was fine if I had an accident. There were paramedics and medical evac everywhere. :p

Plus that was on a anchored boat with no lightning. ;)
there are paramedics and medical evac on the west end also......just sayin'
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

But not a Regional Hospital within about 3 or 4 miles of where I was in the Pic he is talking about. :p

And the emergency personnel were only about 100' from me and most likeily watching and shaking their heads. lol
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

The way I try to stay safe is I try not to say.

Hey yall watch this! =))
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

The hospital in Danville is a "regional" hospital. But if anything serious happens here or in Somerset.....trust me....you are going somewhere else. Even Somerset and air medical take pts to UK, U of L, and Vandy all the time.
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

bubbles wrote:The hospital in Danville is a "regional" hospital. But if anything serious happens here or in Somerset.....trust me....you are going somewhere else. Even Somerset and air medical take pts to UK, U of L, and Vandy all the time.
Very true. I'm sure those pilots could fly in and out of Pulaski and the surrounding counties with their eyes closed.

FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

We won't be making the trip to the raft up. I have a golf tournament that weekend that I haven't missed in many years.

WhiteNights

Post by WhiteNights »

This is also a new moon weekend, meaning No Moon and it will be dark as all get out. So if you go and plan on staying late just be warned it could be long ride back to your dock. And maybe lonely depending on turnout ;)

Our Astronomy Club has monthly public viewings at Raven Run Nature sanctuary each new moon Sat night so I may being staying home for that if it is going to be clear. A couple weeks ago we have 120 people show up, time before was 150 so our club needs all the scopes we can get.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

JMHO but iffin I needed a root canal, I'd rather do that than join the raft-up! :D ;;) #:-s
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
MissSwitzerland
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Knight's Landing

Post by MissSwitzerland »

A friend of ours here at home has a slip at State Dock. We talked to him yesterday and asked if he was going to this raft up and he had no idea what we were talking about. Do the docks not have any kind of advertisements going on or do they not communicate with the slip owners??? Seems to me that if they want to make this a success they would have already had some kind of flyers sent out to everyone.
When the Queen is Happy there is Peace in the Kingdom!
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

MissSwitzerland wrote:A friend of ours here at home has a slip at State Dock. We talked to him yesterday and asked if he was going to this raft up and he had no idea what we were talking about. Do the docks not have any kind of advertisements going on or do they not communicate with the slip owners??? Seems to me that if they want to make this a success they would have already had some kind of flyers sent out to everyone.
I thought I saw flyers up on the cork board. Also has a good size advertisement on the dock's website. It's not State Docks responsibility to get the word out but they are helping anyway.

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”