Water patrol abuse of power

For customers and slip holders of Leesford Marina/Resort

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Bearcat1
I posted something! WooHoo!

Water patrol abuse of power

Post by Bearcat1 »

I have been a houseboat owner at Lees Ford Marina for over 20 years. During that time, I have always appreciated the job water patrol has done to keep the lake a safe place to boat.

This year, we have observed a significant change in the role of water patrol. Rather than being out on the water looking for reckless driving and boaters in distress, water patrol has been sitting at the entrances of Lee’s Ford Marina every weekend and pulling over almost every boat without cause. It is not unusual for him to have 2 to 3 boaters pulled over at the same time doing breathalyzer checks etc. All of the slip owners watch this occur and we are very concerned that it in addition to an obvious abuse of power, it is negatively impacting the perception of Lees Ford Marina and Lake Cumberland.

I would be interested to know whether this is occurring at other marinas on Lake Cumberland or if we have a rogue water patrol officer.

Many of the boat slip owners are planning to sign a petition and send it to water patrol to ensure they are aware of this abuse of power. If this is occurring at other marinas, I would recommend that you do the same.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Re: Water patrol abuse of power

Post by MarineAssist »

Bearcat1 wrote:I have been a houseboat owner at Lees Ford Marina for over 20 years. During that time, I have always appreciated the job water patrol has done to keep the lake a safe place to boat.

This year, we have observed a significant change in the role of water patrol. Rather than being out on the water looking for reckless driving and boaters in distress, water patrol has been sitting at the entrances of Lee’s Ford Marina every weekend and pulling over almost every boat without cause. It is not unusual for him to have 2 to 3 boaters pulled over at the same time doing breathalyzer checks etc. All of the slip owners watch this occur and we are very concerned that it in addition to an obvious abuse of power, it is negatively impacting the perception of Lees Ford Marina and Lake Cumberland.

I would be interested to know whether this is occurring at other marinas on Lake Cumberland or if we have a rogue water patrol officer.

Many of the boat slip owners are planning to sign a petition and send it to water patrol to ensure they are aware of this abuse of power. If this is occurring at other marinas, I would recommend that you do the same.

First of all the KDFWR does not "pull over boats without cause". They are not allowed to. The law requiring a valid reason for a stop was passed a couple years ago now. Every stop is the result of a law being broken, whether it be improper lighting, improper numbering of a vessel, improper seating while underway, failure to keep right, or the biggie everyone complains about - too fast in an idle speed zone, or any number of other regulations governing boating. If you take the time to check the arrest records, you would see this to be a fact.

It is easier and safer to pull people over in the no wake zone of a marina than out in Fishing Creek by a long shot. The reality is that whether they get pulled over at the marina no wake zone or out in Fishing Creek, they more than likely are from your marina or PC Park and the pull over spot is really irrelevant.

"Abuse of power" not sure how that relates to upholding the law and keeping lake users safe??

Your "rogue water patrol officer" has been over there on the job for at least a decade, that I can remember.

People are never happy. They want no wake in the marina and they want reckless behavior tamed, but then complain about the patrolling of the root cause of most of the infractions - operation under the influence..
Mary Lou 2
Marina/Ramp: LFM

Re: Water patrol abuse of power

Post by Mary Lou 2 »

Well said Don .

Return to “LeesFord”