Grider Hill Slips burned

For customers and slip holders of Grider Hill Marina

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Grider Hill Slips burned

Post by E_ »

Saw this on Facebook this morning when I woke up
Grider Hill Marina & Resort's Profile
Grider Hill Marina & Resort
We had 16 slips to burn last night #525-541. Electric off to 600 row of houseboats.
Just got in, will post more info later. - Rick
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Re: Grider Hill Slips burned

Post by re3too »

That's the boat house where we used to keep our runabout! #:-s :( Could have been alot worse.....
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Anyone hear any more about the cause? Initially they said lightning but have heard that may not be so.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Did the fire marshal actually investigate or is that a corrupt lil small town deal?
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

I heard there was a report and that lightning was not the cause. Does it not strike anyone else as odd that the chatter about the fire just died? And when someoneon lc.com suggested that there was more to the story, they were scolded. Jist sayin'.....
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

It is a cluster f*** and nobody wants to talk about it openly on the forum.

I am just sitting back and watching.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Finally...an honest answer! Thanks, Don! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Every member of every forum who has a boat slipped at any marina, not just GHD, should be as concerned as heck about this chit! There have been electrical additions at many marinas that have not been done properly. Some marinas are better at monitoring the situation than others. As a slip renter, it really PO's us at some of the chit we have seen over the years that can affect our property, especially when reporting it falls on deaf ears. Sick and tired of all the pussyfootin' around......Feel sorry for shurl on lc.com because he got unfairly attacked for stating what many know is true (including GHD mamangement). It sickens me that people don't have the balls to standup and call a spade a spade (and no...that is not intended as a racial slur)! Sheesh! X( X(

Makes me sick to have to say this but......thanks E for giving us a place to speak without undue fear of lectures or timeouts for expressing our opinions! :D :D
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

...sorry for that rant everyone. RE3 is now banned from posting. :^o
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:...sorry for that rant everyone. RE3 is now banned from posting. :^o
Shush, poopboy! :p
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

There is a lot of back story there with this ordeal that I do not intend to go into on line at all, as you may have guessed. Scott is not far off the mark, but his posts are emotional due to losing the boat I sold him and not being insured.

Time will tell how it all works out.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

It is truly sad. It is also very sad when a LONG time forum member gets dinged for speculating and accused of half truth when that person had a slip at grider and witnessed things first hand. Not to mention the OTHER current Grider slip holders that ALSO stated there were those exact issues.

I hope certain people cool off a bit and see that the heavy hand is not always the best one in all situations. :(
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

MarineAssist wrote:There is a lot of back story there with this ordeal that I do not intend to go into on line at all, as you may have guessed. Scott is not far off the mark, but his posts are emotional due to losing the boat I sold him and not being insured.

Time will tell how it all works out.
I didn't realize we know who shurl is until I was able to speak with him by phone yesterday. He has a loooooong history with GHD from when he was a youngster and his parents were fine folks (mother deceased). He has a great love for GHD and absolutely was not being vindictive in his posts. He has been treated very unfairly for his posts on lc.com and I for one am done with that chit! BTW....since I'm in FL can someone send me some KY jelly? My backside seems to be feelin' the need! Sheesh! :ymsigh: #:-s #:-s
pourme
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by pourme »

It is squakboxes forum over there. I promise you that you can ask about anything and he will have a response. Today someone ask Rick about letting the docks in and out as the water rises and fall and guess who was first to respond to show how d@mn smart they are. I have never met the guy but he is a number 1 class know it all.
Envy Our Past, Fear Our Future...Go CATS!
pourme
Better Member

Post by pourme »

I am sure it was tough on GHD raising the boats and maybe it was a Cluster F....but i admire them for trying to save the boat owners some money, etc. I am sure they did save some victims some money.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

Talk to Scott H and see how much he saved. He paid the divers that were hired by a guy supposedly speaking for several packaged together slip owners. He did not want to use them, but ended up having to because of someone else's decision, because it was about impossible for me to be able to go there an dig one boat out of the rubble on the bottom for a cheap price. Then he paid them full price, even though Grider Hill did MOST of that recovery work with their forklift and barge. The price he paid was based on my original quote that assumed his boat was sunk in 70' of water. Come to find out 4 of the burned boats drifted up into the cove in 10' of water.... that is a much different job and should have been reflected in the final price, which it was not. Nobody ever mentioned to me the boats floated up into the top of the cove that night, even though I was there on the dcok the next morning. My original quote also assumed we were doing the whole job, not asking Grider for help with their machine.

It is a classic scenario where a quote is given up front because pressure is applied. Then another company beats it by a couple hundred dollars only to find out the work should have been a couple thousand cheaper when you get on scene.

Grider refused to get in the process of hiring the entire job out to one single company and then dividing the bills up accordingly when complete. This was a job where you had to do all of the work or none of it because everything was so entangled together and the risk factor for man and equipment was high. Grider did not want to impose their decision of who to do the work on other people, which I understand, but there was also debris there that does not belong to the slipholders too.

Anyway, that was what I meant by a cluster. Pourme, it sounded like you took my comment the wrong way. Sorry about that if so.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

@PourMe.....my poor injured ribs hurt even more after seeing that pristine pic of how docks are anchored and LMAO! In a perfect world where marinas are fancy schmantzy, that might be the scenario but it's extremely far from reality. Bet the divers that did the job at GHD would be surprised to see that pic! Hmmmm..seems like iffin you don't know what your talkin about, ya might wanna keep your ignorance to yourself. JMHO! :D :D

@MA...after speaking with Scott and he explained the scenario, I felt even sorrier for him. Your descrption of the whole situation was spot on, IMHO! :( :ymsigh:
pourme
Better Member

Post by pourme »

MarineAssist wrote:Talk to Scott H and see how much he saved. He paid the divers that were hired by a guy supposedly speaking for several packaged together slip owners. He did not want to use them, but ended up having to because of someone else's decision, because it was about impossible for me to be able to go there an dig one boat out of the rubble on the bottom for a cheap price. Then he paid them full price, even though Grider Hill did MOST of that recovery work with their forklift and barge. The price he paid was based on my original quote that assumed his boat was sunk in 70' of water. Come to find out 4 of the burned boats drifted up into the cove in 10' of water.... that is a much different job and should have been reflected in the final price, which it was not. Nobody ever mentioned to me the boats floated up into the top of the cove that night, even though I was there on the dcok the next morning. My original quote also assumed we were doing the whole job, not asking Grider for help with their machine.

It is a classic scenario where a quote is given up front because pressure is applied. Then another company beats it by a couple hundred dollars only to find out the work should have been a couple thousand cheaper when you get on scene.

Grider refused to get in the process of hiring the entire job out to one single company and then dividing the bills up accordingly when complete. This was a job where you had to do all of the work or none of it because everything was so entangled together and the risk factor for man and equipment was high. Grider did not want to impose their decision of who to do the work on other people, which I understand, but there was also debris there that does not belong to the slipholders too.

Anyway, that was what I meant by a cluster. Pourme, it sounded like you took my comment the wrong way. Sorry about that if so.
Don, No i didnt take it the wrong way. I just feel that GHD tried to do the best they could to help everyone out. It had to be a cluster because multiple owners and a marina involved with multiple insurance companies. In addition I know there has to be years and years of cable and junk in the bottom of that marina. I just felt that GHD was trying to make the best of a bad situation even though it may not have worked out like they intended. I cant remember anything like this happening so it was a first for everyone. God forbid it happens again but I bet lessons were learned.

Return to “Grider Hill”